35 ZR Cabin >

35 ZR Cabin

Notices

35 ZR Cabin

Old 08-23-2016, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 35 ZR Cabin

Hey guys looking for some feedback on the usability of the 35 ZR cabin for overnights. I am looking to move into a 35-38 boat but need a cabin that my wife and two young kids can comfortably overnight in. The V berth on this boat looks real tight in pictures but looking for some opinions of owners of these boats. Does the area in front of the berth fill in with the side cushions for a second bed? Only other cabins that seem to be roomy are Formula and Active Thunder, like both but the used AT's are hard to come by. Appreciate any info. Thanks
Old 08-23-2016, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

Our 43 ZR cabin is pretty crammed. I can sit on the U seating and my head barely misses hitting the ceiling above (I'm 6'). I have been in a 35 and it's very tight. Can't even sit straight up. We also have a Formula 382 which has a much larger/ usable cabin than the ZR. Formula, Nor-Tech, Hustler, Donzi ZX have much more usable cabins than Donzi ZR's
Old 08-24-2016, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 18 Posts

We have never stayed over on our 35Zr - the V-berth is good for fender storage and cockpit cover. If you enjoy having your forehead rub the headliner...then perhaps it would be comfortable. I did see another 35Zr that had a slide in cushion where the dining table sits...essentially turning the long couches into a large berth - that would make sense to me.

It all comes down to personal comfort. I choose to get a hotel room nearby and keep the boat in a marina. I enjoy a nice bed and fresh shower capability. Its all what you want from the boat but for me I plan to camp on the boat when I move into a Selene or Nordhavn for retirement.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

I love the the 35 /38 Donzi Zr but... the cabin is not good to over night in. The low cut deck makes for very little head room and the V berth is very cramped.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PremierPOWER
Our 43 ZR cabin is pretty crammed. I can sit on the U seating and my head barely misses hitting the ceiling above (I'm 6'). I have been in a 35 and it's very tight. Can't even sit straight up. We also have a Formula 382 which has a much larger/ usable cabin than the ZR. Formula, Nor-Tech, Hustler, Donzi ZX have much more usable cabins than Donzi ZR's
Thanks for the info I do like the Fastechs also but not sold on the windshield. How do you access the bow on your 382 are you able to walk along from the cockpit? We beach a lot and climb down off the bow of our 26 now.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ShootinRopes35z
We have never stayed over on our 35Zr - the V-berth is good for fender storage and cockpit cover. If you enjoy having your forehead rub the headliner...then perhaps it would be comfortable. I did see another 35Zr that had a slide in cushion where the dining table sits...essentially turning the long couches into a large berth - that would make sense to me.

It all comes down to personal comfort. I choose to get a hotel room nearby and keep the boat in a marina. I enjoy a nice bed and fresh shower capability. Its all what you want from the boat but for me I plan to camp on the boat when I move into a Selene or Nordhavn for retirement.
Thanks the pictures I have seen of the berths were spot on then, better for storage.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by DaveK26
Thanks for the info I do like the Fastechs also but not sold on the windshield. How do you access the bow on your 382 are you able to walk along from the cockpit? We beach a lot and climb down off the bow of our 26 now.
It's pretty easy to climb over, or even step on the side of it
Old 08-25-2016, 08:00 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Had an 05 353 Formula and now 07 38 Lightning. Getting to the deck on the 353 was easy from co-pilot side, aluminum steps built into the "trash bin" and "glove box", then up and over the windshield. Going to the side of the windshield was tough, the railing makes it awkward and the walk around it is mounted to is skinny. On the Lighting the access step is behind the bolsters, up and over to the walk around to the bow. The walk around on the Lightning is wide and usable, my wife likes it better and feels its easier then the Formula for getting to the bow. The Lightning walk around also works well for boarding.
As far as cabins, the 353 cabin was great, very usable for overnights for the 2 of us. In the 38 Lightning the seating in the cabin is less than the 353 but headroom is more and the forward birth is longer. We looked at Donzi 38ZRs before the Lightning and the cabin for us was not usable for overnights. I am 6'0" and when sitting in the cabin of the ZR I could not sit comfortable, my head was too far into the ceiling. Had to sit very awkward to make it work. It also was tough to just walk thru the cabin due to the low ceiling. All 3 are very good boats, find which one fits you and your guests best.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by VoodooRob
Had an 05 353 Formula and now 07 38 Lightning. Getting to the deck on the 353 was easy from co-pilot side, aluminum steps built into the "trash bin" and "glove box", then up and over the windshield. Going to the side of the windshield was tough, the railing makes it awkward and the walk around it is mounted to is skinny. On the Lighting the access step is behind the bolsters, up and over to the walk around to the bow. The walk around on the Lightning is wide and usable, my wife likes it better and feels its easier then the Formula for getting to the bow. The Lightning walk around also works well for boarding.
As far as cabins, the 353 cabin was great, very usable for overnights for the 2 of us. In the 38 Lightning the seating in the cabin is less than the 353 but headroom is more and the forward birth is longer. We looked at Donzi 38ZRs before the Lightning and the cabin for us was not usable for overnights. I am 6'0" and when sitting in the cabin of the ZR I could not sit comfortable, my head was too far into the ceiling. Had to sit very awkward to make it work. It also was tough to just walk thru the cabin due to the low ceiling. All 3 are very good boats, find which one fits you and your guests best.
Thanks that answered most of my questions. Of everything I have seen the 353 seems to be a good fit but I need to find one to climb around in. I like the 38 Fountains also I just don't know that we could sleep two adults and two kids comfortably or at all. Did your 353 have the fill in cushions to make a front bed also? I have seen a few like this but don't know if it is standard or a factory option.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:47 PM
Registered

Our 382 has the filler cushions. Any good upholsterer would be able to make them if it doesn't have them. Then just buy the plates from Formula.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.