Recommendations for repowering >

Recommendations for repowering

Notices

Recommendations for repowering

Old 04-03-2019, 05:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations for repowering

Hello all, I just purchased my first Donzi, a 35ZF Daytona (you may have seen it on Boattrader)
its a 2001 with twin opti 225s.
the motors only have 200 hrs so I will run them until I feel like I need more hp. Question is when I repower I’d like to get as much up as possible on this hull so what would you recommend for engine brand/model/hp?
TIA
Old 04-03-2019, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2004 35 ZFO and swapped the 225 Opti's for 350 Verados. WOT is about 65mph, cruise is 45mph at 1.7.

I'm not sure if the 01 transoms can handle the 4 stoke weight, they changed the transoms at some point I think.

The new Merc 300 V8's would be sweet on that boat and weigh about the same as the Opti's, but availability is scarce right now.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 18 Posts

You could hang power on there until the transom snaps off.....

I would look for lightweight and not really chase the numbers. The 35ZF is a snappy CC and will run right without monster HP. Also, consider what you plan to haul because if you are one of those "prepper type" boaters who has ot load every fishbox with ice and gear plus has a monster yeti strapped down filled with ice - you will be pushing all of that extra weight.

Good luck...its a purpose built vessel.