Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Looks nice! I'm on my 2nd "last boat".
Old 04-09-2019, 06:41 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Excess
Lucky thing your truck matches.......... btw what hppened to colorado ?
It's still there...in fact...my wife is going there next week.

We downsized from the AT so we wouldn't feel guilty about leaving such an expensive toy sitting while we galavanted around the country. This boat gets us out on the water when we are home...but I won't feel bad at all when I rent a house in CO for a couple weeks in the summer.

Still have a company to run in here...but as soon as I can, I'm out of IL-annoy. And at that time...there will be a pretty cherry 27 Donzi for sale...
Old 04-09-2019, 06:41 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
i swear this is the last one.
Yeah right!

I've got exactly the same setup, same prop, same engine hours, mine's an '07.
My prop was damaged in shipping to Thailand and I had it repaired but it's certainly not perfect. I concur with everything you've said, she's not quick to plane out, drive tucked in and those little tabs down will help but with a load of fuel, 4,000 rpm's is definitely needed. I think bigger tabs would help, I think some of the 525 boats had K-planes.

The boat doesn't like much trim. Going by the gauge, about 1/4 to 1/2, anything over that, mine would cavitate and feel unstable at speed. I've also read people claim 70-72 mph with that setup, I'm not sure which downhill lake has the best tailwinds in America but 70 was never on the cards where I live. My compressions are all between 150-160 (checked last week) and she would hit the rev limiter (5150 ?) given a decent stretch at full throttle. Best speeds were around 62-63 on the gps Livorsi. I'm sure the prop condition didn't help and also our humidity here could take a few hp and even cutting the air perhaps.

Sorry I can only confirm what you already know and not really help you to improve anything but at least you know you're not alone. I'd guess a good prop will help but otherwise, I don't think the 27/496ho package is designed for much more. Mine's a great boat in every way but I respect it's limitations. It's a big step down from your AT so it may take some getting used to but the service maintenance aspect would be an easy transition.

Good luck, wish I could be of more help.

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 04-09-2019 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rak rua

Yeah right!

I've got exactly the same setup, same prop, same engine hours, mine's an '07.
My prop was damaged in shipping to Thailand and I had it repaired but it's certainly not perfect. I concur with everything you've said, she's not quick to plane out, drive tucked in and those little tabs down will help but with a load of fuel, 4,000 rpm's is definitely needed. I think bigger tabs would help, I think some of the 525 boats had K-planes.

The boat doesn't like much trim. Going by the gauge, about 1/4 to 1/2, anything over that, mine would cavitate and feel unstable at speed. I've also read people claim 70-72 mph with that setup, I'm not sure which downhill lake has the best tailwinds in America but 70 was never on the cards where I live. My compressions are all between 150-160 (checked last week) and she would hit the rev limiter (5150 ?) given a decent stretch at full throttle. Best speeds were around 62-63 on the gps Livorsi. I'm sure the prop condition didn't help and also our humidity here could take a few hp and even cutting the air perhaps.

Sorry I can only confirm what you already know and not really help you to improve anything but at least you know you're not alone. I'd guess a good prop will help but otherwise, I don't think the 27/496ho package is designed for much more. Mine's a great boat in every way but I respect it's limitations. It's a big step down from your AT so it may take some getting used to but the service maintenance aspect would be an easy transition.

Good luck, wish I could be of more help.

RR
Perfect man! Thanks...that's exactly what I wanted to know. Basically wanted to get a read on whether or not what I was experiencing was normal...good to know that it is.

Trailer gets tires today, boat gets wax and loaded with lines, fenders, tools, sunscreen, cozies and other paraphernalia Friday, new trailer bearings Monday, and oil and gear lube changes next week. Then we wait until the weather warms up!
Old 04-09-2019, 08:45 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I haven't used mine much but everything I've done tells me they're a great fun boat. They run very level off a wave and land the same way, just feels well balanced and very solid for a 27' boat. I haven't really pushed "Fonzi" hard so maybe with a light load, good prop and more seat time you'll get closer to 70 than I have. I look forward to reading how you go.

Cheers,
RR
Old 04-09-2019, 09:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Here's a little promo vid for the 27
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x320ybp

Also, I just checked, and K-planes were a factory option.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 62 Posts

Nice Donzi good luck!
Old 04-09-2019, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 243 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
Here's a little promo vid for the 27
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x320ybp

Also, I just checked, and K-planes were a factory option.

Quite the video there

Old 04-09-2019, 01:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RSCHAP1
Quite the video there

It certainly raised my expectations for the boat this summer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.