Need drive advice.... >

Need drive advice....

Notices

Need drive advice....

Old 05-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need drive advice....

I am putting a 540 ci 620hp engine in my 24' Outlaw and I don't know what drive I should go with. I have been looking at the XR's alot, but someone also said something about imco. I have a stock Bravo one now but I know it won't last with all the extra HP. Any ideas are much appreciated.

Chuck
Old 05-04-2007, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm told that kind of hp is real borderline with an XR, but you also should have a somewhat lighter boat. I've read some bad things about IMCO's, so I would definitely do some more research. You probably could get away with an XR if you are cautious with it, meaning not punching it out of the hole. I have a Merc 525 in my boat and I rarely ever go past 1/2 throttle coming up on plane.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Registered

What is the next drive up from an XR?
Thanks

Originally Posted by UNSANE
I'm told that kind of hp is real borderline with an XR, but you also should have a somewhat lighter boat. I've read some bad things about IMCO's, so I would definitely do some more research. You probably could get away with an XR if you are cautious with it, meaning not punching it out of the hole. I have a Merc 525 in my boat and I rarely ever go past 1/2 throttle coming up on plane.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:13 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Chuck,
it all depends on how u drive and under what conditions. I have seen larger boats with more power and standard Bravo's live. I have also seen them break.
My opinion is if you dont have enough power to break teeth on the helical cut gears ( non XR drives). Then stay away from the XR's. They wear out faster. A properly setup Bravo 1 will do some amazing things. Not that you cant break it, but I have several friends that wont go to XR's. Now the stock Bravo 1 has it's weak points. The later OM series are a definite step up from the older ones.

The next step above an XR is Bmax, Konrad, and Merc #6. They do cost big money. The Imco's get a bad rep. I have used Imco parts and like them. Do they have failures, yes, is there abuse, yes and no. One thing you have to look at is the numbers. How many drives have Imco sold verse other after market drives. Go by % and then maybe Imco doesnt look so bad. I like a lot of their pieces, but use a lot of Merc when I build a drive. I have yet to tear down an Imco that was built at Imco and see what is or is not. So I can say anything about them, I just know I use certain Imco parts when building a drive and they work great..

Hope this helps.
D*ck
Old 05-04-2007, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Imco drives use Mercruiser internals. I just bought a lot of $$ worth of parts from IMCO & they all had Quicksilver bags & part numbers on them. Pinion gear, upper shift clutch & gears, upper drive shaft, shift fork, thrust bearings & shims.
Guess the only thing in a Imco upper is the case.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:02 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info guys....I guess what I am really concerned about is which drive will be able to stand up to the horsepower I am putting to it. I do not plan on dogging it but I do want to be able to use what HP I do have. I know hole shot is what tears up the drives so there will be no WOT on take off but I do want it to hold up on the top end......
Old 05-04-2007, 11:08 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've read that 600 is the upper limit of what a Bravo can stand. I'm assuming that would be an xr drive.
I'm thinking in your boat, given the relativly light weight a Bravo would live, provided it doesn't get aired out or hammered hard.
There is a guy in the Baja section that has some process he does to the Bravo internals that makes them withstand stupid HP. I think he goes my "Smitty".
Old 05-05-2007, 12:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Don't waste your money on a "imco" drive unless your getting a killer deal,like mr gadgets said,a well set up regular bravo (2001 and newer style upper gears) will wear well and is fairly strong if you get a upgraded tower,stronger shafts etc. I ran 650 supercharged hp thru a 2000 bravo which is the weaker gear style for 2 seasons before breaking a upper gear floor and I beat it like a red headed step child. Add a steel tower to a run of the mill upper,put the om style/2001 and newer std gears in it with better shafts and you will most likely run trouble free for a long time in your 24 foot baja. Mr gadets can build you this set-up for 1/2-2/3 the price of max worx or imco and he puts more effort into doing it correctly,Smitty
Old 05-05-2007, 12:52 AM
Registered

Thanks Smitty...I have already pm'd Mr. Gadgets and I am waiting for a response. I hope he can find the time to build me a drive. I would trust it more than any other drive bought new or used.

Chuck
Old 05-05-2007, 08:27 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

24 OL's are actually pretty easy on drives from my experience. Mine had a 454mag with 200hrs when I bought it. I put 200hrs more on it then bumped the hp to about 425 and put another 60 hrs on it. Sold the boat and still friends with the current owners. They used another 100hrs and then dropped in a 525SC and probably have another 100hrs on that. Drive was taken apart and inspected and all looked good. It's a 1993 drive and still going strong. It was not babied, but not abused either.

I would just have your B1 gone through and see how it does.

Quick Reply: Need drive advice....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.