Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Drives and Lower Units (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units-217/)
-   -   Mercury #6 Drive Chronology (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units/161655-mercury-6-drive-chronology.html)

Michael1 06-22-2007 07:48 PM

Mercury #6 Drive Chronology

Just wondering what the chronology is on the #6 drives. When did they come out, when did they go to dry sump, when did the swept skeg come out, etc.?

Michael

Biggus 06-24-2007 08:59 PM

I'm no expert on the Speedy 6 but here we go.

The speedmaster VI was originally designed by Fred Kiekhaefer back in the mid 80's when he was head of Kiekhaefer Aeromarine. It was released in 1988 as the Kiekhaefer K drive and only available to qualified race teams. Needless to say, it was a tremendous sucess. Mercury soon after bought out Kiekhaefer Aeromarine pretty much to gain the drive and re-named it the Speedmaster VI. Not sure when they were dry-sumped or the swept back skeg.

racesdad 06-24-2007 10:38 PM

first dry sump #6 was done by pat wiessman (shifter) in 95, i think. it was a modified wet sump drive. We had them on our first 36 skater, ct peppers, 1996 world chamopionship, !st place. we continued to use them until swapping to imco extremes in 2000.

CAPTAIN CHUCK 06-26-2007 01:18 PM

What exactly is a "wet sump" and a "dry sump" for us guys that can't afford $20k - $40k drives???? :D

jeff1000man 06-26-2007 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by marylandmark (Post 2177537)
"dry-sump" lubrication system features a precision-oiling pump that sprays a metered portion of oil to lubricate vital internal components. The system, mounted in the gear housing, uses one-fifth the quantity of gear oil used in previous 'wet-sump' models. Less oil in the sump reduces friction, adding 50 to 80 propshaft horsepower for improved overall boat performance.

Similar in the Dry sump pan set up for High performance BBC I am guessing. I am learning of these and am soon to install a set on my next set of engines. Supposed to be a 30 hp gain at the crank.

cougarman 06-26-2007 02:28 PM

Nice thread, be nice for Shifter to chime in.

Cougarman

The Menace 06-26-2007 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by jeff1000man (Post 2177545)
Similar in the Dry sump pan set up for High performance BBC I am guessing. I am learning of these and am soon to install a set on my next set of engines. Supposed to be a 30 hp gain at the crank.

A wet sump engine stores the oil in the pan. The oil pump itself is ran from the distruibutor shaft. Bouncing in a rough sea can intermittently starve the power plant from oil.

A dry sump engine has an external mutilstage pump that is driven from the crank. The oil is stored in a separate external tank which may hold up to 4+ gallons of the precious fluid. The oil is scavaged from the oil pan back into the tank then pumped from the tank and pressurized through the system assuring a constant smooth flow of oil. The external tank also allows some moderate cooling of the oil.

Advantage: Less chance to starve the vital components of the engine from oil.

Disadvantage is throwing a blower belt and it also taking out your dry sump belt.

jeff1000man 06-26-2007 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by The Menace (Post 2177681)
A wet sump engine stores the oil in the pan. The oil pump itself is ran from the distruibutor shaft. Bouncing in a rough sea can intermittently starve the power plant from oil.

A dry sump engine has an external mutilstage pump that is driven from the crank. The oil is stored in a separate external tank which may hold up to 4+ gallons of the precious fluid. The oil is scavaged from the oil pan back into the tank then pumped from the tank and pressurized through the system assuring a constant smooth flow of oil. The external tank also allows some moderate cooling of the oil.

Advantage: Less chance to starve the vital components of the engine from oil.

Disadvantage is throwing a blower belt and it also taking out your dry sump belt.

Good info.

Dd24skater 06-27-2007 06:36 AM

We had a set of K-drives in 88 on a 32 Skater....

C_Spray 06-27-2007 10:02 AM

1. Mercury copied the #6 by buying it in 1988.
2. Mercury copied the dry-sump concept from Weismann in 1997.
3. Mercury copied the swept-back skeg from Herring in 2000.
4. Mercury's now looking for something else to copy.