Mercury #6 Drive Chronology >

Mercury #6 Drive Chronology

Notices

Mercury #6 Drive Chronology

Old 06-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Mercury #6 Drive Chronology

Just wondering what the chronology is on the #6 drives. When did they come out, when did they go to dry sump, when did the swept skeg come out, etc.?

Michael
Old 06-24-2007, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm no expert on the Speedy 6 but here we go.

The speedmaster VI was originally designed by Fred Kiekhaefer back in the mid 80's when he was head of Kiekhaefer Aeromarine. It was released in 1988 as the Kiekhaefer K drive and only available to qualified race teams. Needless to say, it was a tremendous sucess. Mercury soon after bought out Kiekhaefer Aeromarine pretty much to gain the drive and re-named it the Speedmaster VI. Not sure when they were dry-sumped or the swept back skeg.

Last edited by Biggus; 09-27-2007 at 05:39 AM.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

first dry sump #6 was done by pat wiessman (shifter) in 95, i think. it was a modified wet sump drive. We had them on our first 36 skater, ct peppers, 1996 world chamopionship, !st place. we continued to use them until swapping to imco extremes in 2000.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What exactly is a "wet sump" and a "dry sump" for us guys that can't afford $20k - $40k drives????
Old 06-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marylandmark
"dry-sump" lubrication system features a precision-oiling pump that sprays a metered portion of oil to lubricate vital internal components. The system, mounted in the gear housing, uses one-fifth the quantity of gear oil used in previous 'wet-sump' models. Less oil in the sump reduces friction, adding 50 to 80 propshaft horsepower for improved overall boat performance.
Similar in the Dry sump pan set up for High performance BBC I am guessing. I am learning of these and am soon to install a set on my next set of engines. Supposed to be a 30 hp gain at the crank.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Nice thread, be nice for Shifter to chime in.

Cougarman
Old 06-26-2007, 03:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
Similar in the Dry sump pan set up for High performance BBC I am guessing. I am learning of these and am soon to install a set on my next set of engines. Supposed to be a 30 hp gain at the crank.
A wet sump engine stores the oil in the pan. The oil pump itself is ran from the distruibutor shaft. Bouncing in a rough sea can intermittently starve the power plant from oil.

A dry sump engine has an external mutilstage pump that is driven from the crank. The oil is stored in a separate external tank which may hold up to 4+ gallons of the precious fluid. The oil is scavaged from the oil pan back into the tank then pumped from the tank and pressurized through the system assuring a constant smooth flow of oil. The external tank also allows some moderate cooling of the oil.

Advantage: Less chance to starve the vital components of the engine from oil.

Disadvantage is throwing a blower belt and it also taking out your dry sump belt.

Last edited by The Menace; 06-26-2007 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:58 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by The Menace
A wet sump engine stores the oil in the pan. The oil pump itself is ran from the distruibutor shaft. Bouncing in a rough sea can intermittently starve the power plant from oil.

A dry sump engine has an external mutilstage pump that is driven from the crank. The oil is stored in a separate external tank which may hold up to 4+ gallons of the precious fluid. The oil is scavaged from the oil pan back into the tank then pumped from the tank and pressurized through the system assuring a constant smooth flow of oil. The external tank also allows some moderate cooling of the oil.

Advantage: Less chance to starve the vital components of the engine from oil.

Disadvantage is throwing a blower belt and it also taking out your dry sump belt.

Good info.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:36 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

We had a set of K-drives in 88 on a 32 Skater....
Old 06-27-2007, 10:02 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

1. Mercury copied the #6 by buying it in 1988.
2. Mercury copied the dry-sump concept from Weismann in 1997.
3. Mercury copied the swept-back skeg from Herring in 2000.
4. Mercury's now looking for something else to copy.

Quick Reply: Mercury #6 Drive Chronology

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.