Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Monitoring drive oil temp prolong drive life? >

Monitoring drive oil temp prolong drive life?

Notices

Monitoring drive oil temp prolong drive life?

Old 07-18-2007, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monitoring drive oil temp prolong drive life?

I am about to replace my broken ZX drive with a brand new XR drive (last year model) . I am pushing 750 hp in a Sunsation 288. I'm thinking if I install a drive oil temp gage, and monitor it, and then run my boat accordingly, I should be able to lengthen the drive life right?

I know torque is a killer, so if I am running this boat too hard and pushing it to much, it should show on the oil temp gage right?

Also, what is the curent best way to cool these drives? cooled top cap? Side type drive shower, both?
Old 07-18-2007, 07:53 PM
Registered

CJ........i read your other post and really like that Drew Marine drive oil cooler (with gauges) alot.........I would have to think that between the cooler a drive shower, oil changes and keeping the boat from launching you would really extend the life of an xr behind some real HP...........i am thnking winter project myself.........one question, can you have the cooler and a drive shower or just one of them?
Old 07-18-2007, 08:56 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

John,

Looks like we are going to busy this winter..
Old 07-18-2007, 09:23 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I have drive temps and they are great. I can tell right away when there is a problem before it becomes a big problem.

Every time one of my drive temps have been above normal, it's been a lower bearing. This has happend 3 or 4 times over the years. When the drive temp goes up a little, it's time to tear it down before is breaks.

I have XRs, shorties and Billet top caps.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by checkmate454mag
John,

Looks like we are going to busy this winter..
Vinny..........I don't think I would add the drive oil cooler(because I have had no drive problems YET) but if we go through the drives I would like to get an idea of what is involved in adding some temp gauges...........as you know I baby the drives and I do have the drive showers on there already.................gauges would just keep me from getting rough on them...............we will talk more later.........how are we looking for that other thing..........call me later today.......................................Johnny
Old 07-19-2007, 08:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JOHNNYD454
CJ........i read your other post and really like that Drew Marine drive oil cooler (with gauges) alot.........I would have to think that between the cooler a drive shower, oil changes and keeping the boat from launching you would really extend the life of an xr behind some real HP...........i am thnking winter project myself.........one question, can you have the cooler and a drive shower or just one of them?

I spoke to buddy who manufactures the simrex shower, and it can be instaled not problem with my IMCO hyd steering. And spoke to Drew Marine and the oil ports would be sucking from the center of the rear cap (drill and thread for fitting) and dump back to the top cap (again drill and thread for fitting). So I think I would do both.

Like you say, with a drive temp gage, internal oil cooling, and external shower, drive the boat according to the drive temp gage, what more can I do right? Oh, and change drive oil every second engine oil change.

Or spend the $20 000.00 and buy a B max. Maybe down the road if the above mentioned doesn't work well enough.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:45 PM
Registered

I think you will be fine CJ........just watch the gauges...........
Old 07-19-2007, 01:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JOHNNYD454
I think you will be fine CJ........just watch the gauges...........

Can't do anything more with an XR than what I'm thinking of. Giving it the best chance it has in my mind.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:20 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Canada Jeff
I spoke to buddy who manufactures the simrex shower, and it can be instaled not problem with my IMCO hyd steering. And spoke to Drew Marine and the oil ports would be sucking from the center of the rear cap (drill and thread for fitting) and dump back to the top cap (again drill and thread for fitting). So I think I would do both.

Like you say, with a drive temp gage, internal oil cooling, and external shower, drive the boat according to the drive temp gage, what more can I do right? Oh, and change drive oil every second engine oil change.

Or spend the $20 000.00 and buy a B max. Maybe down the road if the above mentioned doesn't work well enough.
You're gonna spend a heck of a lot less than $20K for a single Bmax..... I got two R&D drives with all new internals for less than that, with full warranty ta boot! Additional 2 yr warranty could be purchased for $1500 a drive.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:36 PM
Registered

the b!tch about the B max is I loose some docking ability because I can't turn the drive as far. And they don't make them in 1:50 ratio . I'd have to buy another new prop.

Also, I can repair an XR pretty quick around here, where as no one here knows WTF a B max is. If this XR blows in 4 months, then it may be my only other option.

Quick Reply: Monitoring drive oil temp prolong drive life?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.