Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Drives and Lower Units (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units-217/)
-   -   Alpha Transom to Bravo Tranom swap (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units/165353-alpha-transom-bravo-tranom-swap.html)

Ford Capri 08-05-2007 11:09 AM

Alpha Transom to Bravo Tranom swap

I am thinking that I would maybe swap from an alpha drive to a bravo drive. My current alpha setup is a Gen2 from 1997
I had a close look a the parts and it looks like if I replace the bellhousing and keep the alpha gimbalring, the drive would fit.
It should be possible to mount the bravo trim cylinders on de alpha gimbalring.
I can't find any difference between a alpha transomplate and a bravo transomplate, only there is a extra plug for water when they use them with a diesel.
Am I overlooking parts or is it that simple?

But I still need some parts, I need a bravo gimble bellhousing and some trim cylinders, Can I use the old style alpha trim cylinders? they look the same.
Can someone help me out with some parts?

Richard

MOBILEMERCMAN 08-05-2007 01:41 PM

Richard- I've never heard of it done that way. I briefly looked at part numbers and it doesn't appear to me to be something I would try. The transom plate is different an A14 to A17, the bellows, gimble bearing and ring, water hose, cylinders are all different numbers. This may not mean you can't make it work, but it seems like trouble. I would think you could locate a complete gimble assy. at a reasonable price if you look around. Often big repower centers break up packages and offer the transom assy. cheap.
Best of luck,
Jim

Ford Capri 08-05-2007 02:32 PM

You are right about the part numbers,
But if you compare the two plates by looking at them, there isn't such a big difference, the only thing I found there is a plug in a bravo transomplate and the hole isn't drilled in a alphaplate.
And yes the gimbalring is better/stronger and has a U-Bolt on top instead of two bolts/nuts. Today I found a bravo transom plate and a gibalring, but I need the gimbalbellhousing and trim cylinders.
But if possible I want to keep my engine and transom in the boat for this season and then I could do a complete transom swap in the winter. That is why would try to mix those parts.
Bravo transoms and parts are very rare over here in the Netherland, you have to pay alot for them.

Richard

MOBILEMERCMAN 08-05-2007 03:09 PM

Richard- the alpha cylinders would carry the same load just wouldn't have the same shock absorbing bushings. The may be fine depending on how you intend to run it. I would be interested in your outcome. again best of luck,
Jim

jryan26 08-05-2007 03:17 PM

I have a couple of drives and a trim ram.

SmallPP 08-07-2007 08:07 AM

I have heard of this, and from what I understand, the only difference between transom plates is the Bravo has 2 extra studs, lower I believe. All else should line up.

I have not done it, but was also considering it.

oldandtired 08-07-2007 08:13 AM

I just happened upon a Bravo transom and drive on Ebay a little while ago. It had a buy it now of 1700 if I remember correctly. Just search for bravo drive and it should come up. I have nothing to do with this auction. I just thought it could help you out.

Rene