Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Drives and Lower Units (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units-217/)
-   -   Automatic transmissions (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units/200497-automatic-transmissions.html)

PROGRESSIVEAUTO 12-21-2008 11:58 PM

Automatic transmissions

Curious... anyone run an automatic trans in their boats? I have been toying with the idea however room is an issue in my configuration.
Any suggestions on availability of a short automatic to use in conjunction w/ the mercruiser /bravo1 powerplant?

articfriends 12-23-2008 01:03 AM

I have built th-400's for v-drives in the past,I remember hearing about someone using powerglides with shorty kits in front of outdrives,Smitty

ACrooks69 12-30-2008 09:58 PM

You know what they say, Slip and Slide Powerglide. The shifting can be taylored for just about any application. I don't think I would be worried about blowing up drives. Just don't put a tranny brake on it. I think the Manufacturer is J&W, they make the supercase or something. I've seen a shorty kit for it that replaces the tailshaft and only extends an inch or two. Good luck.

ezstriper 12-31-2008 06:52 AM

years ago merc tried it...saw a test with it but then never heard anything more on it...but I have had the same thoughts for years, I was involved with a drag boat team years ago(many) and we were starting to play with trans's then, most ended up running lenco's and they were hard on them but worked well I thought..Rob

midwest272 12-31-2008 07:59 AM

You would have to think there would a lot of load (heat) on auto's and the slip factor unless they have some kind of lock-up converter?

ezstriper 12-31-2008 02:50 PM

you would not use a converter, they make a drive that drives from the flywheel strait to the ft pump...

Jerry Sabatino 01-01-2009 06:58 PM

trans

we have a hustler here in nashville with triple cobras and number fives with two speed chrysler 727. i know old school setup but it does work.

28' Aeromarine 01-07-2009 09:51 AM

I have a B&M 2-speed trans in my boat. B&M no longer makes this trans. I purchased mine from Brummett Marine in Cali. He may still make them. I got mine more than 5yrs ago.
It IS a modified 727 torqueflight as the poster above mentioned. It is coverted to be a plug-in replacement for a Borg 72c.
It's pretty cool. 2nd gear is 1:1 ratio like a normal one-speed trans. 1st & reverse are much lower ratios. It makes docking & idling in no-wake zones possible with big engine/big prop applications. Mine is manual shifted by solenoid. All I have to do is flip a switch to go from 1st to second gear.
Mr Brummett told me there is a manual shift version as well.

I love this set-up.

hallj 01-07-2009 11:39 AM

Is it the same length as the 72C?

Jeff