Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Drives and Lower Units (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units-217/)
-   -   KAAMA Drive Boots (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units/203382-kaama-drive-boots.html)

TopGun13 02-17-2009 01:56 PM

KAAMA Drive Boots

Does anyone know the status of having new KAAMA Drive Boots modeled? I may be able to help. It is possible that I could make a mold if it is not overly complicated.

alj 02-24-2009 11:19 AM

Hey TG
This has been batted around for a couple years now. Archer was supposed to work on it but it didn't go anywhere. A couple years back one of the Weismann boys posted that they were sending a boot off to be duplicated but never heard anything more on it. They used the same boot on their early surface drive. Does your 357 have Kaama's? There are a lot of guys that just keep patching these things hoping for the best. The mold doesn't seem to be real complicated but it is a large boot. 10" diameter on one end and tapering down to the other end. About 15" long. It has a slightly thicker ridge on the inside of each end that locks the boot into a groove on the drive case and a groove on the transom housing. Most of the Kaama guys are on the Formula, Wellcraft Scarab, and Stuphen forums. We should have a special forum for Kaama or "surface drive". Lets see what info we can gather.

don 02-25-2009 08:41 AM

Kaama drive for sale

If anyone is interested I have a drive off my boat that was stolen in October. No hope on finding boat at this time but I had one of the Kaama's off to rebuild it. It has new gears,and 2 sets of seals. Housing is in great shape and it is a short shaft. With used boot in good condition. I will sell complete drive for $1500 if interested. Call Don at 727-364-8531.

bck 02-27-2009 07:51 AM

I have a boot sitting in my garage right now I can have pictures and measurements in minutes. Let me know what you need.

alj 02-27-2009 10:53 AM

Hey Guys,
A long time ago ,somewhere on this site there was talk of having a mold made. TG, you can correct me but I remember that it would be a lot easier to make a mold by casting an existing boot. I'm not sure why it never got off the ground before but I'm guessing cost or the fact that nobody was secure in giving up one of their boots for very long. Maybe someone has a ratty boot that they would donate and the mold can be cleaned up after the fact. I'll see if I have some pictures of the boots and post. The guy at Archer told me that "when" he had the mold made , he was going to send it to Goodyear in Ohio to have the boots made. We should consider that in twenty five years the manufacturing technology and materials have changed significantly. Instead of hand making a mold, we should be able to have it done CNC with a decent boot for a CNC pattern???? Rubber materials are much better now and we have 25 years of experience with these boots to know where they need to be reinforced or where they need to be more flexible to prevent tearing and wear. Maybe more like a CV boot on a front wheel drive car than the rigid rubber tube they are designed like now. Not trying to reinvent the wheel but maybe there is already a boot like this in some heavy duty industrial application. Any ideas?

Biggus 02-27-2009 11:12 AM

While working in Louisiana last month, I visited one of our Konrad dealers who happened to be a Kaama dealer back in the day. I got a pair of new old stock boots for my bud I'CE here. Give them a call, he might have more.

Roadrunner Marine
New Iberia, LA

alj 02-27-2009 12:55 PM

Bet the phone lines to New Iberia are smokin!!!!
:eek:

bck 02-27-2009 05:31 PM

Just talked to Road Runner marine. The guy looked where the other ones came from and didn't see any more. Will talk to previous owner and see if knows of any more.

offshore2 02-28-2009 08:30 AM

I recently found out that the company who made the boots for Kaama, closed down about a year ago. Another company has purchased there assets. I have found that company. I will see if they will manufacture the boots.

bck 03-03-2009 09:10 AM

Does anyone know if a new boot has that waviness to it that they have after they have been used for a while ? Is a brand new boot perfectly straight ?
PS- Road Runner Marine in La. does not have any more boots.