Notices

Bravo I Issue

Old 08-28-2009, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bravo I Issue

Just got finished a complete rebuild on my 502. Take it out last night to test it out and the motor is running perfect, oil pressure, temp, rpm's.. just everything was perfect.. ran the boat upto about 3200 rpms just cause its not broken in yet.. ran it for about 20mins.. then when coming back to the dock at idle the boat just died.. felt like something was wrapped around the prop and it just stopped the boat in its tracks.. I fired it right back up and sounded fine and 2 seconds later it boggs down and shuts down again.. after that it wouldnt even crank back over.. it wants to crank but something is seized.. when i would try to start you would see the belts turn right and then spring back to the left cause its bound up.. i checked the prop and it spun freely when shut down. in drive it spun right and was locked to the left, in reverse it spun left and locked to the right.. all that seems fine.. i checked the plugs and their perfect, the oil is perfect and has no water.. didnt hear any sounds that would make me think i spun a bearing in the motor.. I'm thinking something went in my outdrive but not sure what. Any ideas? my thoughts are on the gimble bearing but i didnt know that if the gimble nearing goes if it locks up the motor and cant turn over..
Old 08-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 758 Likes on 348 Posts

Pull the outdrive off (it is 6 bolts) and check it out.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Greek,
Watch the input shaft into the coupler at the back of the motor.. I had a drive lock up.. upper pinion bearings and it would kick you said. I thought the new motor was broken.. but the input shaft didnt move, the motor would wind up the rubber in the coupler and then snap back.
At least you can see if it is the drive that is stuck..

Let us know what you find.. If that doesnt show a direction to go.. then pull the drive and see if the motor spins over.. That will give you the answer to where the bad news is..

Hope this helps.
Dick