Notices

XR housing?

Old 01-31-2010, 11:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XR housing?

Hey guys I have a XR upper housing. To make a long story short. The drive is only a few years old and last year one of the upper gear teeth broke off (luckly when I was idling arounding). Anways the case its self is in good shape other the some knicks on the inside where the broken tooth bounced around. It doesn't appear to have any other damage that would prevent it from being rebuilt. Just wondering if there is anything I should look for? I'd like to sell it but I don't want to screw anyone.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:41 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Typically if the missing tooth, doesnt get crossed up and only bounces around it doesnt hurt much. I know of one drive that was driven 8 miles back to the launch, on plane, with a missing tooth. The case was good on that one.
There are ways of measuring tower alignment and trueness of the floor, etc. I like to measure the floor on all the cases to make sure it is true. It doesnt take much warpage to destroy the next set of gears, but they can be fixed if they are off. Any more than .0005" and I like to have them cleaned up.

If the insides look decent, I would suspect it is ok. A pic or two of the inside of the case thru the top and snout would help. Do you still have the broken gear and pinion? That would be another picture I would like to see. You can tell a lot from the condition of the gears.
Hope that helps.
Dick
Old 02-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The broken tooth never bounced back into the gears after it broke off. The case is in storage at the moment and i'm out of town so i can't get any pictures at this time. If it is in ok shape what is a emtpy xr case worth?