TRS drive water leak through bellows >

TRS drive water leak through bellows

Notices

TRS drive water leak through bellows

Old 06-27-2010, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TRS drive water leak through bellows

I have a TRS drive and discovered I have water leaking through the bellows. When I raise my outdrives to the full trailer position a small trickle of water comes through the inner transom assembly. When I lower my outdrives all the way down the water stops. It looks like this has been happening for a while and I just discovered it. The boat sits on a boat lift most of the time. This only seems to happen when I raise the outdrives all the way for example going to the beach for the afternoon. If I run the boat with the outdrives in the down position no water leaks. My questions Is:
Can I wait till the end of summer to fix this or is this something that must be fixed immediately.

Thanks
Old 06-27-2010, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On both drives it does this or just one?

Sounds like a you have a minor tear, bellows aren't that hard to change. A lot easier than trying to get all the water out of the bilge when the minor leak becomes a major leak....
Old 06-27-2010, 11:45 AM
tsp
Registered

Get it fixed! Have you checked your gear lube for water? Once water gets past the bellows it can get into your drive. Also, your gimbal bearing can be damaged from the water.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

X2 I had the same thing on a Donzi hornet 3, 330 with BW and TRS, the trickle, then a torrent when the drive was up, takes about an hour to change it, and most of that is set up time for the bellows adhesive, the TRS being so big, it's easy to get you hands in and clean stuff up...when i did mine i noticed surface rust on the U-joints, the shafts were greased well enough that they were protetcted, it's a good time to grease your u joints and squish out any water that got into them...and if you have the trickle, chances are your u-joints have been in the water...
Old 06-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Your gimbal bearing is probably living on borrowed time if you have been getting water leaking into the bellows.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:42 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would take care of it now as well. One day of down time is worth it. Check all the bearings while you are in there. You don't want all those parts rusting up. Plus that small leak can turn into a larger one.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Registered

I have a similar problem on my 311 with TRS and 72C's. My question is is there an actual gimbal bearing or is it an output bearing on the transmission. I'm trying to look up parts and I'm not sure if part # 30-36418 is the right bearing. In the fall when I pulled the drives I reached in and spun the first bearing I felt and its on its noisy but I want to be sure I buy the right one. I just assumed it was a gimbal bearing because its in about the same spot as a Bravo.
Thanks
Old 03-28-2011, 02:01 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by CMG223
I have a similar problem on my 311 with TRS and 72C's. My question is is there an actual gimbal bearing or is it an output bearing on the transmission. I'm trying to look up parts and I'm not sure if part # 30-36418 is the right bearing. In the fall when I pulled the drives I reached in and spun the first bearing I felt and its on its noisy but I want to be sure I buy the right one. I just assumed it was a gimbal bearing because its in about the same spot as a Bravo.
Thanks
The bearing you are referring to is in the tailstock assembly that is bolted on the end of the transmission. I believe the part is 30-32537T. As the others said, if the bellows are leaking, fix it fast as that bearing is probably already toast.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:36 PM
Registered

Thanks yea I knew it was bad in the fall and put it on my spring list. Can I pull this bearing with a slide hammer like I would for a Bravo gimbal or is **** going to fall out when I pull it. I think I read there is a snap ring too but I'm not home to take a better look.
Thanks
Old 03-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

I have a leak in my bellow also. I also have a tranny slipping. When I pulled the engine and transmission the tranny was FULL of water. I think mine was leaking past the bearing and the seals some how and filling up my transmission. I pressure tested my tranny cooler and had no leaks. Getting ready to tear down the tranny and will be in need of parts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.