Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Drives and Lower Units (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units-217/)
-   -   Bravo 1 won't trim under power (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units/234658-bravo-1-wont-trim-under-power.html)

David53081 07-13-2010 10:10 PM

Bravo 1 won't trim under power

Hello,
I have a new-to-me 97 Crownline 210ccr with a 454 MPI and Bravo 1 drive. The issue I am having is the drive will not trim up when under heavy throttle. In all other instances the trim/trailer trim all work as they should. I can trim up the drive at speed but only if I throttle down first. I can trim down at any speed/throttle position. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

David

Btharbold 07-31-2010 08:52 PM

I am having the exact same issues? Anyone know what might be going on? Pumps and drives trim flawlessly on land, all new wiring everywhere, nothing undersized that I know of.

David53081 10-13-2010 09:18 PM

The boat will be going to the dealer next week so I hope they figure it out. I will post the results.

Audiofn 10-13-2010 09:40 PM

There is a high and a low preasure side to the pump. The up is a higher preasure then the down. I wonder if they have the hydrolic lines reversed? This would allow it to work while not under load but once the drives are pushing the boat they would not have enough preausre.

MILD THUNDER 10-14-2010 12:16 AM

Weak trim pump. Had the same issue on my old formula. Only way to get drive to trim up while underway was to pull that engines throttle back, trim up, then reapply throttle! Replaced pump and all was good. Doesn't take much pressure to raise the drive when not loaded, but when moving forward the thrust was too much and the pump couldn't overcome it.

Griff 10-14-2010 01:30 AM

Does the drive drop down by itself when it is trimmed up and then parked for few days?????

If so, it probably has a bad seal or valve in the pump.

carter38 10-14-2010 05:35 AM

I had this happen once I had my lines reversed switched them problem fixed.

GoFastSonic 10-14-2010 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by carter38 (Post 3230087)
I had this happen once I had my lines reversed switched them problem fixed.

BINGO

David53081 10-14-2010 10:09 AM

Thanks AUDIOFN for the tip. I will try that! That makes sense as the previous owner said the pump was new.

David

David53081 10-15-2010 01:18 PM

I tried switching the lines at the pump and I was optimistic as the lines were reversed (at least the colors were) according the the service manual. After switching the lines I could not get the drive to trim up at all. I thought I would bleed the lines and disconnected the starboard side up hose at the trim cylinder and hit the trim up. Only a few drops of fluid came out of the line. I then disconnected the port side up hose at the trim cylinder so both sides were open and it was the same story when trim up is pushed its just a couple drops of fluid. After about 15 seconds running the trim up, the fluid began to foam and bubble up through the vent in the reservoir cap.

Does this information provide a clue as to what the problem might be or just complicate it? Any help would be appreciated.

David