Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Drives and Lower Units (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units-217/)
-   -   Drive Coupler gernades. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units/236130-drive-coupler-gernades.html)

NWPC 08-03-2010 07:31 PM

Drive Coupler gernades.

How common is it. Mine blew taking out the rear mount and wye pipe. Luckly we were close to shore so we could beach the boat before it sunk. Any ideas of what would cause this, don't want a repeat.

Philm 08-03-2010 07:42 PM

did you pull the motor recently? Improper alignment will do it, as can lack of grease on the splines.

NWPC 08-03-2010 08:19 PM

Replaced the drive last year with an Imco SCX upper. All was good. The coupler didn't just fail, it literaly gernaded.

rvrrat 08-03-2010 08:53 PM

So you broke a drive prior to the SCX? And you didn't change the coupler then?

How bad was it vibrating and for how long?

t500hps 08-03-2010 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by rvrrat (Post 3174343)
So you broke a drive prior to the SCX? And you didn't change the coupler then?

How bad was it vibrating and for how long?

.....and if he needed to go to an SCX drive then I'm guessing pretty big power. A coupler has a life span and big power shortens them quickly!

(a guy here pulled and rebuilt big power and was warned about his couplers.....put it all back together and a couple months later one let go. His simply stripped the teeth without causing the damage your did)

rvrrat 08-03-2010 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by t500hps (Post 3174361)
.....and if he needed to go to an SCX drive then I'm guessing pretty big power. A coupler has a life span and big power shortens them quickly!

(a guy here pulled and rebuilt big power and was warned about his couplers.....put it all back together and a couple months later one let go. His simply stripped the teeth without causing the damage your did)

I smoked a Teague upper. Put a SCX on without changing the coupler. Boat had a weird vibration. Short of it was the SCX didn't agree with my setup. Put an Max Machine XR based drive on it, but changed the coupler before I did that. No more vibration. Boat runs great once again.

If you break a drive with high horsepower. Change the coupler. You'll thank yourself later.

NWPC 08-04-2010 07:43 AM

Not big power, Running a 575sci single in a 29 Fountain. After breaking 2 xr's and 2 Teaque Platinums I decided to spend the extra and go with the SCX. No drive problems since.

rvrrat 08-04-2010 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by NWPC (Post 3174587)
Not big power, Running a 575sci single in a 29 Fountain. After breaking 2 xr's and 2 Teaque Platinums I decided to spend the extra and go with the SCX. No drive problems since.

Big boat w/single = same issue as big HP

Good to hear the SCX is hanging in there. Very dissapointed it did not agree with my boat. Now I keep a spare drive just in case and swap them at 30hrs regardless.

RunninHotRacing163.1 08-04-2010 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by rvrrat (Post 3174394)
I smoked a Teague upper. Put a SCX on without changing the coupler. Boat had a weird vibration. Short of it was the SCX didn't agree with my setup. Put an Max Machine XR based drive on it, but changed the coupler before I did that. No more vibration. Boat runs great once again.

If you break a drive with high horsepower. Change the coupler. You'll thank yourself later.

If you break a drive with high horsepower. Change the coupler. You'll thank yourself later.[/QUOTE

there you have it ,a lil too late now but coupler would of been monies well spent,good luck :drink:

rvrrat 08-04-2010 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158 (Post 3174726)
If you break a drive with high horsepower. Change the coupler. You'll thank yourself later.[/QUOTE

there you have it ,a lil too late now but coupler would of been monies well spent,good luck :drink:

When I broke my drive I asked the question "should I change the coupler?" Couple guys said "no, it should be ok". Well they were wrong. No real harm, other than an extra trip to the shop to change it. Next time it won't be a question, it will get changed.