Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Drives and Lower Units (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units-217/)
-   -   Bravo to Arneson Conversions (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units/242134-bravo-arneson-conversions.html)

omerta one 11-08-2010 01:16 PM

Bravo to Arneson Conversions

Who's done it and what performance changes did you get?

ken sampson 11-08-2010 03:21 PM

I am doing it now. I have 3 x 540 Bullgogs with Bravos on my 50' Hustler 83MPH is my top speed. with just the ASD-8's the speed should be plus 10MPH. I am also doing the motors to 700EFI's so my new speed should be just over 105MPH unless I end up with more HP than planned.
I am having Hustler fill my holes and mount the new drives.

baywatch 11-08-2010 08:16 PM

I'd be curious of the performance gains on a straight bottom 38' cig are. 10mph on a big boat like that is pretty impressive.

How much does the bravo conversion asd actually go for$$$? There is virtually zero used asd's out there but I have contemplated this for my old sled as well. Pretty much the only way for me to get a rooster tail and low slip numbers LOL..

Also, what are the dockside manners of an asd like when compared to a bravo?

ndaniels 11-08-2010 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by baywatch (Post 3249355)
I'd be curious of the performance gains on a straight bottom 38' cig are. 10mph on a big boat like that is pretty impressive.

How much does the bravo conversion asd actually go for$$$? There is virtually zero used asd's out there but I have contemplated this for my old sled as well. Pretty much the only way for me to get a rooster tail and low slip numbers LOL..

Also, what are the dockside manners of an asd like when compared to a bravo?

Retail is around 22K- I think, been a while since I inquired about it.

UrbanDisturbance 11-09-2010 08:14 AM

About a year ago, it was $23,000 per side for the ASD7M. That is not installed nor props. Also, you will need an external water inlet. It's going to cost over $50,000. My guess would be around $55,000. Pocket Change, right?:lolhit:

omerta one 11-09-2010 08:16 AM

Wonder how long it takes to dial them in???

UrbanDisturbance 11-09-2010 08:36 AM

I'm sure it's a lot of work. For my 1994 CIgarette Top Gun application, I think I would have to pull one of the motors to install an external water inlet for my water pumps. I may be wrong. I don't think installing the drives would be too hard, as the ASD7M is suppose to fit over your existing bravo 1 holes. I talked to an individual who installs these Anresons, he charges around $4000-$4500 to install the Arnesons on my Cigarette. He did not say anything about the water inlet. I would love to have some Arnesons myself, but I don't have that kind of money to spend.

baywatch 11-09-2010 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by UrbanDisturbance (Post 3249616)
About a year ago, it was $23,000 per side for the ASD7M. That is not installed nor props. Also, you will need an external water inlet. It's going to cost over $50,000. My guess would be around $55,000. Pocket Change, right?:lolhit:

LOL. My pockets need to get a bit deeper before I can take that plunge....

UrbanDisturbance 11-09-2010 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by baywatch (Post 3249686)
LOL. My pockets need to get a bit deeper before I can take that plunge....

I am with you on that one. I think I'll keep my bravo's. That's too much money. If Arneson dropped their price to about $12,000 per side, I bet their sales would go through the roof. Everyone would be buying them. I don't know how much it cost to make one, but it can't be more than a bravo. The drives have a simple design. There is not a bunch of moving parts.

HTRDLNCN 11-09-2010 09:48 AM

I guess it depends on dollars to return.
How much money to make enough extra horsepower to get an extra 10mph on a 70+ mph 35-45ft boat and how long would the bravos last after adding that much power and how much to beef up bravos to handle that extra power?
Id say when all is said and done you would probably pretty close to the same amount either way.