Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Are the Bravo One to XR upgrades any good? >

Are the Bravo One to XR upgrades any good?

Notices

Are the Bravo One to XR upgrades any good?

Old 11-11-2010, 07:16 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Verbi, NA motors? If they are blower motors, then you are crossing the line to needing better drives. And even with NA motors, you would need to drive with eggs taped to the throttle, so to speak.

Redbud, what broke on yours?
Old 11-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS
Dont forget a lot will also depend on how you service the drives & use them. If you are rough on them it is worse. Jamie / Lakeside
This is a loaded question I'm sure but what di you consider good maintenance and being rough on drives? We don't see much big water around here so there is not a lot of coming out and high spin rpms then smacking back down. The poker runs will occasionally get rough but not to bad. I have them serviced every year. This is probably a gadgets question
Old 11-12-2010, 01:58 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

I was running 550hp in my Pantera and changed the drive lube every 25-30 hrs. The drive had 300hrs on it and never broke. The secrets are getting on plane slow and being quick on the sticks if you catch air.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The number of blades on the prop has a direct affect on how long the drives last. I see a lot of boats with 454's and 502's and bravo 1's that have 5 to 600 hrs on them but they are running 3 blade props.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I am running 4 blade
Old 11-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
Verbi, NA motors? If they are blower motors, then you are crossing the line to needing better drives. And even with NA motors, you would need to drive with eggs taped to the throttle, so to speak.

Redbud, what broke on yours?
Mr G, Naturally asperated yes, and not what I wanted to hear...damn. So I guess an outdrive upgrade would need to be put in the budget with the motors swap.

Is a Bravo 1X not good for 600hp??
Old 11-12-2010, 06:06 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Verbie,
How heavy is your boat? I have one friend with a 38's Formula with upgraded B1's, the best I can build and he runs 575hp NA.. They have been on the boat for 4 yrs now and no problems.
So it depends on driving skills and maintenance. How big are the new motors?? Smaller cubic inches and higher rpms favor the drives. Acceleration after you are on plane needs to be gentle until the hull frees up and lessens the load on the drives. Then you can get with it. Another friend has a 28' Checkmate, 598" NA.. 4 blade bravo. Boat is probably 6k lbs with all his wife's stuff on board. He has 650hrs on an old style B1. And he doesnt really drive it with eggs on the stick. Here in Lake Michigan, it does get a bit bumpy.. So it can be done. Just think about how much torque you are applying now and keep the sticks at a tad bit lower setting with the new motors.
You are better off with the B1 X than an XR these days. Your next step is a blower and 1000hp.. Then make your move to the big league. I favor the Imco SCX, just from what I see from my friend,s boat. But there are others out there, just have to make the choice and go for it. If it breaks, well that is boating. My friend used to go through 3-4 XR's a summer. Now he has over 500hrs on his SCX's in two or three summers, I cant remember, for sure, when he got them.. He boats like crazy for Michigan!

Hope this helps.
Dick
Old 11-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dick,
I am not sure of the boat weights, will have to do some digging.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 4,271 Likes on 1,232 Posts

I wish I would have bought a SCX instead of one XZ one XR (in a years time)
Not having to worry about breaking drives and getting stranded or driving like a sissy thats just priceless.
Its like buying a Z06 and then driving like grandma.. whats the point?

My next boat will not have Bravo anything on the back thats for sure,.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
Another friend has a 28' Checkmate, 598" NA.. 4 blade bravo. Boat is probably 6k lbs with all his wife's stuff on board.
Maybe 7K now with the new mattress pad she got a couple years ago. LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.