Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
30 ft scarab drive hunt questions >

30 ft scarab drive hunt questions

Notices

30 ft scarab drive hunt questions

Old 12-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest engine that was tied to an Alpha was the 330 and that was discontinued after a couple of years. Don't even think about putting more hp in a heavy boat like this. Really, you would be better off buying a complete Scarab in need of some work. That would give you most of the parts to work with.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
The biggest engine that was tied to an Alpha was the 330 and that was discontinued after a couple of years. Don't even think about putting more hp in a heavy boat like this. Really, you would be better off buying a complete Scarab in need of some work. That would give you most of the parts to work with.
yea, i agree. I just don't know if my budget will allow me to go the bravo route. But im not too concerned with go fast right now. To be honest, one of the main reasons we bought this boat over a jet boat was that my kidos and i can go to the lake and camp at the same time. In the future i can upgrade. I've seen several single engine bravo boats that i could take the bravos out of and put my alphas in and resale and probably get most if not all my money back. So thats my long term bravo plan. And don't get me wrong, if can find a set that i can afford, i will defenitely go that route.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ih4by4
yea, i agree. I just don't know if my budget will allow me to go the bravo route. But im not too concerned with go fast right now. To be honest, one of the main reasons we bought this boat over a jet boat was that my kidos and i can go to the lake and camp at the same time. In the future i can upgrade. I've seen several single engine bravo boats that i could take the bravos out of and put my alphas in and resale and probably get most if not all my money back. So thats my long term bravo plan. And don't get me wrong, if can find a set that i can afford, i will defenitely go that route.
That's a good plan, and as long as you don't mind doing the extra work of re-rigging the boat and you know what you're getting into and have the knowledge that you may eat on or both of your Alpha drives... Go for it!

Members on here give great advice regarding how to boat relatively break free for long periods of time, but few come from your perspective (trying to get your feet wet, being relatively cheap about upgrades, and learning as you go). It sounds to me like you're on the right track. If you baby your drives I think you'll be fine. Don't speed up or slow down too fast, or beat the snot out of your boat, and don't upgrade from 330 Mercs until you upgrade your drives first, and you'll be fine.

Just know that there are risks for doing it your way (a frustrating summer of owning a busted boat, contemplating whether or not to buy another Alpha or look for a Bravo swap, and the insecurity of wondering when your drive is going to eat it), and you're going to be putting a ton of work into a boat that isn't going to be worth all that much in the end. That said, if you don't invest more into your boat than you're getting out of it in terms of fun, and if you're willing to do the work, you're right on track to accomplish your goal.