Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Drives and Lower Units (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units-217/)
-   -   30 ft scarab drive hunt questions (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units/243858-30-ft-scarab-drive-hunt-questions.html)

ih4by4 12-10-2010 04:04 PM

30 ft scarab drive hunt questions

I just bought a 30ft scarab with no motors drives or trailer. I've got the trailer taken care of and one drvie/motor. The boat had alphas in it i'm pretty sure because the openings match my alpha template. I've bought one parts boat with a 305/alpha gen2 and am looking for another. I've built a few jet boats but i'm new to outdrives so i wanted to buy complete parts boats to help educate myself as i pull them apart. And it seems cheaper than buying one part at a time. My question is, are the engine bell housings the same for all chevys. I plan on buying new drives after i get the boat set up with these. So could i buy a 4.3 or 4 cyl boats to get all the stuff and then when i replace the drives buy new same/proper ratio drives. I know if i stick with 305 or 350 stuff i'll get manifolds wiring harnesses and such things that i will need. But I planned on buying new manifolds and i'm going to use two fresh truck motors that i already have setting in my shop. So is it worth trying to find cheap v8 alfa gen 2 boats when i'm not going to use the motors anyways and is it even possible to use the 4cyl or v6 stuff. Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated. I know this post was kinda wendy, but i didn't know how to ask it any shorter.

andyt25 12-11-2010 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by ih4by4 (Post 3271576)
I just bought a 30ft scarab with no motors drives or trailer. I've got the trailer taken care of and one drvie/motor. The boat had alphas in it i'm pretty sure because the openings match my alpha template. I've bought one parts boat with a 305/alpha gen2 and am looking for another. I've built a few jet boats but i'm new to outdrives so i wanted to buy complete parts boats to help educate myself as i pull them apart. And it seems cheaper than buying one part at a time. My question is, are the engine bell housings the same for all chevys. I plan on buying new drives after i get the boat set up with these. So could i buy a 4.3 or 4 cyl boats to get all the stuff and then when i replace the drives buy new same/proper ratio drives. I know if i stick with 305 or 350 stuff i'll get manifolds wiring harnesses and such things that i will need. But I planned on buying new manifolds and i'm going to use two fresh truck motors that i already have setting in my shop. So is it worth trying to find cheap v8 alfa gen 2 boats when i'm not going to use the motors anyways and is it even possible to use the 4cyl or v6 stuff. Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated. I know this post was kinda wendy, but i didn't know how to ask it any shorter.

Personally if I didn't have any drives now I would try to find Bravos I know you're going to pay more for them but that way you can upgrade power later on. My boat came with alpha ss drives and 320efi motors and I just put new 420hp 383s in it and I'm already looking to upgrade down the road when they break

fireboatpilot 12-11-2010 03:32 PM

What year is the boat? Is it rigged and wired? That's a big boat to have had Alpha's? I had a 30' Scarab 78' Had BBC's and TRS drives. Big, heavy boat. I'd look around for some take out power of Big blocks and Bravo's Guy's are always upgrading to bigger power and stronger drives. I wouldn't waste my time or $ with anything smaller.

4bus 12-13-2010 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by fireboatpilot (Post 3272324)
That's a big boat to have had Alpha's?

Ya, but it is not uncommon for this manufacture. They loved the alpha, and even used them in 1000's of singles with BBC! :eek:

hallj 12-13-2010 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by andyt25 (Post 3272216)
Personally if I didn't have any drives now I would try to find Bravos I know you're going to pay more for them but that way you can upgrade power later on. My boat came with alpha ss drives and 320efi motors and I just put new 420hp 383s in it and I'm already looking to upgrade down the road when they break

Do you still have the 320 EFI stuff?

Jeff

Lee 12-13-2010 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by hallj (Post 3273407)

Jeff

Are you still shoveling snow?:evilb:

Muscar311 12-13-2010 11:42 AM

Repower

I have a 89 spider with BBC and bravos Complete with silent choice 6K 410 960 5786

andyt25 12-13-2010 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by hallj (Post 3273407)

Jeff

yeah I switched over to carbs but kept all the efi stuff I plan on putting it up for sale in the spring but I'm waiting until I get everthing running before I sell it all

ih4by4 12-14-2010 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by 4bus (Post 3273316)
Ya, but it is not uncommon for this manufacture. They loved the alpha, and even used them in 1000's of singles with BBC! :eek:

Yea, thats what i've been seeing. I would love to go with bravos i just don't know that i can afford it. And i've seen a lot of alpha setups with a lot of ours and relatively untouched drives. Maybe not the best setup but if i run easy use baths and keep clean synthetic lube mmmmaybe i'll be ok for a while.

Ok, i have another question. I've heard arguments both ways so maybe someone can explain this to me. Is it stronger to run a drive with 1.47 ratio and smaller prop or something like a 1.84 ratio with a larger prop. I was told by the person i trust the most that the 1.84 will be the strongest way to go. running 1.84 is stronger in the upper but puts more stress on your lower. And his point was how many bad lowers compared to uppers do you see. And in my looking i haven't seen too many bad lowers but a lot of bad uppers. What do you guys think? That makes since but he also said a smaller prop is less effeciant and will (if you will) slip more. In my street experiance slip keeps you from breaking things. You put some really soft slicks on the back, you'll find the week link really fast.

hallj 12-15-2010 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Lee (Post 3273433)
Are you still shoveling snow?:evilb:

I had to shovel a path wherever I went!