1991 chaparral 2300 sx sport >

1991 chaparral 2300 sx sport

Notices

1991 chaparral 2300 sx sport

Old 02-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 chaparral 2300 sx sport

O F 636437 is the serial number on the outer drive assembly, now i was told that the boat originally came factory with 454 and bravo one package.

with that said, when i purchased the boat it had a 260 hp 350 installed with a se1116 drive. for what reason is still unknown. I believe it was possibly a freeze issue, dont know.

what im wanting to find out is this, if this number comes back alpha one gen II, is that final. is that for sure what the drive gimbel assembly is or is possibly that the inner transom and trim pump assembly is still bravo.

Cause what i was told was that on the exterior of the boat, the bell assembly was changed, to retro fit a cheaper drive assembly.

what im hoping is that this is true

i need to identify by either a count on transom mounting bolts, if there is a difference, possibly meaning if there were more bolts that held the bravo transom assembly in place, verses the alpha one gen II transom assembly.

last season i upgraded engines back to the 454, this season i want to tackle the drive issue, ive already blowed the lower case complety apart so boating with this drive assembly is not a choice. i need to identify what parts i have that are bravo and what parts are still alpha,

any help in the area is much much appreciated. thanks and let me know.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a friend with the same boat most of the ones I've seen have 350's his has the 454 I would imagine you're going to need a complete bravo to swap it over and you'll need to run a seawater pump off the engine
Old 02-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chaparral2300
O F 636437 is the serial number on the outer drive assembly, now i was told that the boat originally came factory with 454 and bravo one package.

with that said, when i purchased the boat it had a 260 hp 350 installed with a se1116 drive. for what reason is still unknown. I believe it was possibly a freeze issue, dont know.

what im wanting to find out is this, if this number comes back alpha one gen II, is that final. is that for sure what the drive gimbel assembly is or is possibly that the inner transom and trim pump assembly is still bravo.

Cause what i was told was that on the exterior of the boat, the bell assembly was changed, to retro fit a cheaper drive assembly.

what im hoping is that this is true

i need to identify by either a count on transom mounting bolts, if there is a difference, possibly meaning if there were more bolts that held the bravo transom assembly in place, verses the alpha one gen II transom assembly.

last season i upgraded engines back to the 454, this season i want to tackle the drive issue, ive already blowed the lower case complety apart so boating with this drive assembly is not a choice. i need to identify what parts i have that are bravo and what parts are still alpha,

any help in the area is much much appreciated. thanks and let me know.
I am not entirely sure of your question.

1. Alpha and Bravo drive parts are not the same. The Bravo drive has 2 more bolt holes than the Alpha.
2. The Alpha transom assy looks different than a Bravo, so if you look at some close-up pics of Alpha and Bravo drives, you should be able to soot what you have, and the drive itself looks way different. If it's an Alpha drive, then it's an Alpha gimbal and transom assy.
3. As far as I know, the only thing that could be the same, is the trim pump.

If you have an Alpha transom assy, you could either by a new or used Alpha gen II. With the 454 you are most likely looking at a bit much torque for the Alpha drive. I would look for a nice used complete bravo drive. As mentioned before, you'll need a motor driven water pump for the B1 drive. Cut out is the same for the Alpha and Bravo, so it's an easy swap. Only diff is the 2 extra holes for the Bravo drive. If the boat was born with a B1 drive, they are allready there.

Good luck with your project.

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 02-01-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:07 AM
Banned

Default b1 drive reply

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor
I am not entirely sure of your question.

1. Alpha and Bravo drive parts are not the same. The Bravo drive has 2 more bolt holes than the Alpha.
2. The Alpha transom assy looks different than a Bravo, so if you look at some close-up pics of Alpha and Bravo drives, you should be able to soot what you have, and the drive itself looks way different. If it's an Alpha drive, then it's an Alpha gimbal and transom assy.
3. As far as I know, the only thing that could be the same, is the trim pump.

If you have an Alpha transom assy, you could either by a new or used Alpha gen II. With the 454 you are most likely looking at a bit much torque for the Alpha drive. I would look for a nice used complete bravo drive. As mentioned before, you'll need a motor driven water pump for the B1 drive. Cut out is the same for the Alpha and Bravo, so it's an easy swap. Only diff is the 2 extra holes for the Bravo drive. If the boat was born with a B1 drive, they are allready there.

Good luck with your project.
the boat was born with a b1 454 package, im pretty sure, heres what i was told, i was told the boat had a 454, and b1, previous owner allowed 454 to freeze, and with that he exhcanged the 454 for a 350 260 hp. and well i was told he left the inner transom from the b1 intack and the outer transom intack, but changed the bell that houses the b1. confusing, yeah i know. i was told that i would be able to change the current bell, and install a b1 bell and then be able to install a b1 drive. i visibly reconize the differences in the drives, there easily seen. what isnt so easy is know what is b1 equipment, verses alpha equipment, inner transom and outer transom, so in short supposdely i have a inner transom b1 and outer transom b1, with a alpha 1 gen II bell, which no houses the gen II which i have proved to exsplode the lowers right thru the case on side.

now im trying to sort what is bravo and what is not, ive spent most of evening scrolling around looking at bolt patterns best i could, trying to distinguish the difference in mounting locations so i could take that information back to my inner transom plate and compare my findings. how many bolts hold on the alpha 1 gen II transom assembley verses b1. i could simply count mounting bolts right.??? then retro my sea water pump pulleys and bracket in line, and isnt there a shift cable change as well, long with a power steering change of sorts.

problem is i think i have a little of both installed on boat. in my orignal posting i listed the only serial number on outer transom i could find. its at the top.

and then more so then anything, im lookng for the missing parts needed to complete the swap. i upgraded to a mild 454 40 over last season, and turned out the mechanic rolled me on his installation, i paid for 450 454, i got at best a 360 454, ive now found heads roller cam roller lifters rockers intake 850 carb, and after market ignition, to install on top of my 454 bring hp up significantly. and nowing the drive wouldnt and didnt hold he increase in power from last season, i think nothing short of shifting into forward and ill blow the bottom off the brand new gen II i have, i want to rid my self of the gen II drive and all its comonents to finance partially the cost of the b1 upgrade. i just need to identify what i have and dont have. so if i count mounting bolts how many would i count for it to be a b1 inner transom and b1 outer transom. is there 8 on the b1 and 6 on the alpha . is that an adequate way of distenquishing differneces,
Old 02-02-2011, 12:16 AM
Banned

Default more changes

Originally Posted by chaparral2300
the boat was born with a b1 454 package, im pretty sure, heres what i was told, i was told the boat had a 454, and b1, previous owner allowed 454 to freeze, and with that he exhcanged the 454 for a 350 260 hp. and well i was told he left the inner transom from the b1 intack and the outer transom intack, but changed the bell that houses the b1. confusing, yeah i know. i was told that i would be able to change the current bell, and install a b1 bell and then be able to install a b1 drive. i visibly reconize the differences in the drives, there easily seen. what isnt so easy is know what is b1 equipment, verses alpha equipment, inner transom and outer transom, so in short supposdely i have a inner transom b1 and outer transom b1, with a alpha 1 gen II bell, which no houses the gen II which i have proved to exsplode the lowers right thru the case on side.

now im trying to sort what is bravo and what is not, ive spent most of evening scrolling around looking at bolt patterns best i could, trying to distinguish the difference in mounting locations so i could take that information back to my inner transom plate and compare my findings. how many bolts hold on the alpha 1 gen II transom assembley verses b1. i could simply count mounting bolts right.??? then retro my sea water pump pulleys and bracket in line, and isnt there a shift cable change as well, long with a power steering change of sorts.

problem is i think i have a little of both installed on boat. in my orignal posting i listed the only serial number on outer transom i could find. its at the top.

and then more so then anything, im lookng for the missing parts needed to complete the swap. i upgraded to a mild 454 40 over last season, and turned out the mechanic rolled me on his installation, i paid for 450 454, i got at best a 360 454, ive now found heads roller cam roller lifters rockers intake 850 carb, and after market ignition, to install on top of my 454 bring hp up significantly. and nowing the drive wouldnt and didnt hold he increase in power from last season, i think nothing short of shifting into forward and ill blow the bottom off the brand new gen II i have, i want to rid my self of the gen II drive and all its comonents to finance partially the cost of the b1 upgrade. i just need to identify what i have and dont have. so if i count mounting bolts how many would i count for it to be a b1 inner transom and b1 outer transom. is there 8 on the b1 and 6 on the alpha . is that an adequate way of distenquishing differneces,
also last season, i upgraded my hub assembly to a heavy duty application hub, or so it was called from the mechaninc, its brand new, would that need changed as well for a b1 installation. or is that interchangable, cause i just paid 250.00 maybe 300 for a new hub assembly, if nothing else im sure someone could use the parts i have, there pretty high demand, i went the the gen II assembly thoroughly replacing bellows gimbel bearing shift cable, did away with exhaust bellow due to thru hull imco power flow exhasut and 4 inch hardin marine thru hulls, im close, real close to being on top of this.
oh and one more question, is the gen 6 block, year 2000 considered a 502. cause thats what i have installed is a 2000 gen 6
Old 02-02-2011, 12:30 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi, That serial number comes up as an 1996 MERCRUISER Transom Assembly, Serial number 0F636437 Model number 6010005JS.

The Manufacture Date for this Transom Assembly was on 05/31/1995.

In dealing with that Transom Assembly you will want to find service manual #14, The Mercruiser part number for the service manual is 90-818173

This would fit a MERCRUISER ALPHA style Engine, ALPHA style Transom Assembly & an ALPHA ONE GEN 2 drive style system.

Here is a parts diagram for a alpha style for you.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selec...+++1991%2D1995

Also here is a parts diagram look up for a bravo style.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selec..._nbr=809808+96

Hope this helps, Good luck with it.

Last edited by lakematdude; 02-02-2011 at 01:08 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:44 AM
Banned

Default b1

Originally Posted by lakematdude
Hi, That serial number comes up as an 1996 MERCRUISER Transom Assembly, Serial number 0F636437 Model number 6010005JS.

The Manufacture Date for this Transom Assembly was on 05/31/1995.

In dealing with that Transom Assembly you will want to find service manual #14, The Mercruiser part number for the service manual is 90-818173

This would fit a MERCRUISER ALPHA style Engine, ALPHA style Transom Assembly & an ALPHA ONE GEN 2 drive style system.

Here is a parts diagram for a alpha style for you.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selec...+++1991%2D1995

Also here is a parts diagram look up for a bravo style.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selec..._nbr=809808+96

Hope this helps, Good luck with it.
clear the in box cant send message
Old 02-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

I did an Alpha to Bravo swap this summer... If you have an Alpha drive on your boat you MUST have an alpha gimble. There is no way either will swap. I wouldn't worry about looking up serial numbers as they are not switchable. It may be possible to use a bravo inner transom plate on an Alpha but not the other way around. The trim pumps are the same... So basically your your going to need the following

1. Complete outer gimble and trim rams (alpha are different)
2. Bellhousing
3. Bravo Drive.
4. Drive oil Res that is inside boat.
5. Bravo Seapump
All this is going to run $3000-$3500 to swap with good prices or you could just buy a new Alpha and be careful with it... My 242 with a 454 Alpha lasted over 20 years with the original drive. I dumped it becuase I was replacing the 454/330 hp with a 440/530 hp engine, which would have destroyed the alpha. I understand yours blew but there was most likely something wrong with it.

Last edited by endeavour32; 02-02-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Registered

Just be glad your Chap doesn't have the Yamaha I/O. Our trim pump is shot and little things keep going wrong. I wish I new what I could swap out with merc parts.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Banned

Default alpha vs b1

Originally Posted by endeavour32
I did an Alpha to Bravo swap this summer... If you have an Alpha drive on your boat you MUST have an alpha gimble. There is no way either will swap. I wouldn't worry about looking up serial numbers as they are not switchable. It may be possible to use a bravo inner transom plate on an Alpha but not the other way around. The trim pumps are the same... So basically your your going to need the following

1. Complete outer gimble and trim rams (alpha are different)
2. Bellhousing
3. Bravo Drive.
4. Drive oil Res that is inside boat.
5. Bravo Seapump
All this is going to run $3000-$3500 to swap with good prices or you could just buy a new Alpha and be careful with it... My 242 with a 454 Alpha lasted over 20 years with the original drive. I dumped it becuase I was replacing the 454/330 hp with a 440/530 hp engine, which would have destroyed the alpha. I understand yours blew but there was most likely something wrong with it.
Well problem is, in the upgrade of the 454, 40 over, im just about to purchase heads, with inconnell valves, rectangular port, hydrolic roller cam, from 502, roller lifters roller tip anodized blue rockers push rods, victor junior 2 intake and 850 demon carb, and crane 6-m marine ignition system to set atop the 454 base. so my hps are about to shoot to the moon in comparison to what i had last season. last season i got hacked by local marine mechainc that was supposed to have installed 450 hp 454 and turns out he installed peanut heads oval port, oval port aluminum intake and i purchased a brand brand new eldebrock 750 marine app. all of which is useless for my application at this point. so using the alpha will only result this season in what happened last season in 10 hours of run time, which is lower gear set pertruding thru the side of case on drive. so im thinking an upgrade to the b1 is without question.so anyone that has any of the above mentioned parts im currently in market for. there posted in earlier thread here on same subject.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.