Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Filling bravo 1 with outdrive oil from top cap? >

Filling bravo 1 with outdrive oil from top cap?

Notices

Filling bravo 1 with outdrive oil from top cap?

Old 05-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Filling bravo 1 with outdrive oil from top cap?

Trying to make memorial day weekend. Got my engines installed. Went to install outdrives and started changing fluid in outdrives. One of the drives' plugs behind the prop is frozen. Trying heat and cooling with torch to break but no luck. I took the top caps off the outdrives to clean up and inspect several weeks ago.... *If I can't get the set screws out, can I fill the drives oil by removing the top cap of the drive?
Old 05-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

can you drill it out with a smaller bit then try and use an easy out??? I dont think you want to fill from the top.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Is this the type with a lube bottle? t will trickle in - faster than you think...
Old 05-27-2011, 01:00 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

You absolutely cannot fill the drive from the top. You will have tons of air pockets and are risking major damage to the drive.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
You absolutely cannot fill the drive from the top. You will have tons of air pockets and are risking major damage to the drive.
Done it literally 20 times. You have to be patient. Fill it, let it set - fill the lube bottle again if it needs it and let it set overnight or 5-6 hours. You have to let it set overnight so the bubble work themselves out. Start the engine for a few minutes the next day. Turn it off and let it set again 10 minutes. Once it stabilizes run the boat slow for a few minutes, stop let it set a few minutes. Repeat 4-5 times till the oil level doesnt move and you are good. I wouldnt do this in 20 minutes and expect it to work but it will get you by...

Would I always do it this way, hell no, but its the holiday.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've also done this several times. Just pour in the amount that the drive is supposed to take and the level should end up at the upper vent plug. I usually spin the prop over a few times as I do it also.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Registered

Guys thanks, welding a bigger nut on, will fill slow if doesn't work.

Griff, thanks for the caution. I always appreciate your tips. I just want on the water so bad. New engines and my birthday Monday. I'm a kid that wants his toy!
Old 05-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

i know those little boogers can be a pain to get out with out the proper big screwdriver..usually all it takes is a few smacks with a hammer to the end of the screwdriver and they usually come out..if it rounds the head off then a chisel and hammer works to get the plug out..

good luck!
Old 05-27-2011, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

One of these will take them out every time. Just get the largest straight slot you can find to use with it.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...3&blockType=G3
Old 05-27-2011, 06:26 PM
Registered

Finally got it out! I couldn't figured out how to weld to it. In a last ditch effort I just kept torching it. A whole lot of heat and cooling cycles did it. Heated and cooled set screw five times before it budged with big screw driver and vise grips on the screwdriver. Only turned on it after the set screw cooled because i was scared of stripping it while hot and expanded. I cleaned out the threads with a tap and bought a new set screw.

I have a impact wrench. I'm going to get one of impact drivers like above for future stuck screws.

Thanks Again,
Brian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.