Anyone using the the prorock marine #6 prop shaft for the xr drives >

Anyone using the the prorock marine #6 prop shaft for the xr drives

Notices

Anyone using the the prorock marine #6 prop shaft for the xr drives

Old 08-21-2011, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using the the prorock marine #6 prop shaft for the xr drives

Is anyone using the tne prop shaft for xr drives so that you can run #6 props. I was thinking of trying them out.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here it is

http://www.prorocracing.com/marine/i...pkg2245jat8nt3
Old 08-21-2011, 04:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Never seen it until now but looking at it as far as failure goes, the billet prop shaft I sheared last time broke where it goes into the drive gear acrossed the splines, those are no stronger on the one illustrated but at least you could open up moreprop options, Smitty
Old 08-21-2011, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by articfriends
Never seen it until now but looking at it as far as failure goes, the billet prop shaft I sheared last time broke where it goes into the drive gear acrossed the splines, those are no stronger on the one illustrated but at least you could open up moreprop options, Smitty
The weak link is as you explained it. Confirmed by Aaron at Max Machine Worx. Secondly, check your prop diameter capabilities. Chances are you don't have enough clearance to run a broad range of props. Really does not work well unless you have an IMCO drive. Weak link still there.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ROTAX454
The weak link is as you explained it. Confirmed by Aaron at Max Machine Worx. Secondly, check your prop diameter capabilities. Chances are you don't have enough clearance to run a broad range of props. Really does not work well unless you have an IMCO drive. Weak link still there.
When I sheared my last billet prop shaft Max Worx told me they had a "bad boy" shaft that was super indestructible at 3 times the price of their hd billet I broke, it wasn't available at the time though and I needed one asap so I bought a std heavy duty torsional one (and have kept away from 5 blade props) and I haven't heard anything more about it. I have broken 2 bilet vert shafts now, I think they take more of a beating then the prop shaft, Smitty
Old 08-21-2011, 06:16 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Isn't the weaklink still the upper gear sets?
Old 08-22-2011, 01:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by fireboatpilot
Isn't the weaklink still the upper gear sets?
Never been the problem in my case, I have sheared 2 billet vert shafts, 1 billet prop shaft and ate up 10 to 15 plus sets of lower gears, my xr uppers have over 350 hours on them with 700 plus then 950 then 1050 hp, still look almost like new. I broke one upper shaft but I found it cracked upon inspection, didn't fail completely under power luckily. I tear upper apart every 20-40 hours and inspect it, have found failing bearings and gotten them changed before it became a problem. I attached a pic of prop shaft I sheared off, it was a early max worx billet std dia that came oput before the xr shafts were even avavilable, it broke at the splines, the stronger xr prop splines would have made no difference as the splines are same size where it broke at gear, I don't blame Max worx, it had high hours and I was trying to turn a 5 blade with almost 1000 ft lbs of tq, Smitty
Attached Thumbnails Anyone using the the prorock marine #6 prop shaft for the xr drives-dsc04707.jpg   Anyone using the the prorock marine #6 prop shaft for the xr drives-dsc04699.jpg   Anyone using the the prorock marine #6 prop shaft for the xr drives-dsc04702.jpg  

Old 08-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
When I sheared my last billet prop shaft Max Worx told me they had a "bad boy" shaft that was super indestructible at 3 times the price of their hd billet I broke, it wasn't available at the time though and I needed one asap so I bought a std heavy duty torsional one (and have kept away from 5 blade props) and I haven't heard anything more about it. I have broken 2 bilet vert shafts now, I think they take more of a beating then the prop shaft, Smitty
Smitty, New Gen prop shaft is now available. Aaron has put together a complete package for my IMCO lowers including their vertical and new prop shafts. Your right, new prop shaft is pricey. Richard