Bravo Low Water Vs Side Water Pick up >

Bravo Low Water Vs Side Water Pick up

Notices

Bravo Low Water Vs Side Water Pick up

Old 01-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bravo Low Water Vs Side Water Pick up

Is there an advantage/dis-advantage one over the other? Why would I want lower vs. side and lower?
Old 01-15-2012, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends how deep you run your drive. If you are running high x dim. Then in the bullet. I ran both with reg drive height and was fine.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:20 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Low water pickup is something you don't want unless you need it. Prone to picking up sand, mud etc. As Poker says depends on drive height. The standard Bravo has had dual pickups for years, both bottom and side. For marginally high mountings you just plug the top one or two holes.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mbam
Low water pickup is something you don't want unless you need it. Prone to picking up sand, mud etc. As Poker says depends on drive height. The standard Bravo has had dual pickups for years, both bottom and side. For marginally high mountings you just plug the top one or two holes.
For lake sand and mud issues, is it advisable to plug the lower water inlets?
Old 01-15-2012, 07:10 PM
Registered

I had the standard bravo lower with dual pick up with no issues. I recently changed to an IMCO lower with only low water pickup and have some issues. I did however install a sea strainer at the same time as the IMCO lower. I due drive in some shallow areas and have found that on busy weekends when some sea weed gets stirred up it gets caught in the sea strainer and restricts flow....if I suck any sand up at that time it packs the sea strainer full as it cannot pass thru with the sea weed on the screen.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mbam
Thanks neighbor...(John at Bass United)
Old 01-18-2012, 09:55 AM
Registered

Stay away from low water pickup if you can, or plug the openings. Those things are like sand shovels and only necessary for high drive heights. Can't use elephant ears to flush with LWP either.

I thought you were sticking with Alphas? Much less to worry about IMHO.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by handfulz28
Stay away from low water pickup if you can, or plug the openings. Those things are like sand shovels and only necessary for high drive heights. Can't use elephant ears to flush with LWP either.

I thought you were sticking with Alphas? Much less to worry about IMHO.
I have a lot of slop in my gimbals....have the engines out anyway. With 400 Ft Lbs + and over 350 horsepower...vs the price point fall on Bravo equipment....+ the reliability...decision time....lots of pluses on the Bravo side. Bravo Transom assemblies will be here this week.

BTW...you don't happen to have a Bravo/Alpha Gen II transom drill template I could borrow laying around do you?
Old 01-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Registered

No template, just an inner transom assembly right now. Gotta be "somebody" around that could offer one for a small fee I would hope.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
I have a lot of slop in my gimbals....have the engines out anyway. With 400 Ft Lbs + and over 350 horsepower...vs the price point fall on Bravo equipment....+ the reliability...decision time....lots of pluses on the Bravo side. Bravo Transom assemblies will be here this week.

BTW...you don't happen to have a Bravo/Alpha Gen II transom drill template I could borrow laying around do you?
bravos bolt right in the alpha holes .only thing need to do is drill 2 top holes and you can use the bravo inner transom plate for that .simply line up the bolt holes to the alpha holes and drill the 2 top holes == done bolt in the bravos
The following users liked this post:
Xcal24 (11-23-2023)