Alternatives to the merc drive trim sender >

Alternatives to the merc drive trim sender

Notices

Alternatives to the merc drive trim sender

Old 03-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Alternatives to the merc drive trim sender

Working on a project in which I might need to use the trim senders that mount to the drive. I have read that they don't hold up very well and are a pain in the a$$ to swap them out! Anyone know of alternatives? Don't bother saying cables as I need it to be driven electriclly

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,814 Likes on 903 Posts

I think the Merc senders are your only option then.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:28 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 502ss
Working on a project in which I might need to use the trim senders that mount to the drive. I have read that they don't hold up very well and are a pain in the a$$ to swap them out! Anyone know of alternatives? Don't bother saying cables as I need it to be driven electriclly

Thanks!
I dont know about the pain in the arse, but I have not had any issues with mine since I replaced them last year. The originals (1993) finally rolled over on me and I got the Mercruiser pucks and put them on. I did find out one thing about them and that is to make sure that the big pivot bolt (shoulder bolt) is nice and tight. All of my pivot bolts were alittle loose and I pulled them out (do it one at a time or your drive will fall off) and hosed down the threads with blue thread lock...then put them back in and torqued them to 80 pounds feet. I havent had any issues since. Just follow the instructions and you wont have a problem...it is pretty simple.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:09 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i get it. the bolts screw in-out a tiny bit instead if swiveling. (gimballing?) the sender reads the allen head on the bolt and doesn't see the drive move.

Last edited by dereknkathy; 03-07-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
i get it. the bolts screw in-out a tiny bit instead if swiveling. (gimballing?) the sender reads the allen head on the bolt and doesn't see thye drive move.
Right. Mine were loose, still reading, but not very well. The pivot bolts need to be tight so that they cant move. The sender thingy that slips into the bolt head just barely moves to get a reading. I was surprised just how little the sender does move...once you have everything else right.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Livorsi had a new electronic drive trim indicator at the Miami show. I'd give them a call.

Kurt
Old 03-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Biggus
Livorsi had a new electronic drive trim indicator at the Miami show. I'd give them a call.

Kurt

Why buy one when I can build one!
Old 03-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by pslonaker
I dont know about the pain in the arse, but I have not had any issues with mine since I replaced them last year. The originals (1993) finally rolled over on me and I got the Mercruiser pucks and put them on. I did find out one thing about them and that is to make sure that the big pivot bolt (shoulder bolt) is nice and tight. All of my pivot bolts were alittle loose and I pulled them out (do it one at a time or your drive will fall off) and hosed down the threads with blue thread lock...then put them back in and torqued them to 80 pounds feet. I havent had any issues since. Just follow the instructions and you wont have a problem...it is pretty simple.
The pain in the a$$ reference was to what I had heard regarding routing of the wire through the gimbal. Was this tough? Did you have to pull the drive, etc.?
Old 03-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't have to pull anything but the wires. There is a small bolt & hold down that can be accessed by turning the drive to full lock to expose the bolt. A 1/4" ratchet, long extension & correct socket will work.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JasonSmith
You don't have to pull anything but the wires. There is a small bolt & hold down that can be accessed by turning the drive to full lock to expose the bolt. A 1/4" ratchet, long extension & correct socket will work.
This true for a TRS also?