Help identify different TRS gimbals >

Help identify different TRS gimbals

Notices

Help identify different TRS gimbals

Old 04-02-2012, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help identify different TRS gimbals

Recently cracked a gimbal ring on port side and the starboard side had alot of play so I found 2 used fresh water gimbals on ebay. Currently prepping them for paint and noticed a difference in the actual gimbal rings.

One has a u-bolt at the top of the wish-bone like my current gimbals, and the other gimbal is solid at the top with allen headed bolt going through the top of gimbal horizontially. Just curious if one is an older style and if one style is any strong than the other.

Thanks for your help,
Jack
Attached Thumbnails Help identify different TRS gimbals-cape-coral-20120330-00097.jpg   Help identify different TRS gimbals-cape-coral-20120330-00098.jpg   Help identify different TRS gimbals-cape-coral-20120402-00102.jpg  

Old 04-02-2012, 08:25 PM
rws
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

U bolt style is newer and stronger.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that allen bolt is probably stuck and drilling it is a *****. how about don carter.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Registered

Thank you RWS

Northernoffshore: Called Don Carter, no response as usual. In the past he had quoted $1800 per gimbal rebuild. The 2 used gimbals cost me $1,200. After paint, I will attempt to block off rear of the motors and remove existing gimbals without pulling motors.

Last edited by US MUSL; 04-02-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The one with the allen headed bolt is the first design and the ones which have the U bolt are the third and final design. Problem with the first design is the upper swivel shaft is splined to the gimble ring and splined to the steering arm. This design made them develop a lot of slop in the steering. The upper swivel shaft in the ones with the U bolt are square cut where it fits to the gimble ring and square cut where they fit to the steering arm. U bolt design is superior. Hold the gimble ring with one hand and move the steering arm with the other hand to check for slop.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have trs gimble ring sockets and some trs tools. He has helped me in the past with used parts but you got to go in before lunchtime. I would only use the u bolt style gimbel rings with the square bolts. pm me if you need some help.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US MUSL

After paint, I will attempt to block off rear of the motors and remove existing gimbals without pulling motors.
I did it on a single one time. Would never do it again. Couldn't imagine doing it on twins. You'll need some type of engine lift using a sling around the tranny. Tip, before pulling off the gimble assembly screw a long sheetmetal screw a little ways into the transom on both sides under the bottom of the transom plate.This will keep it in place aligned with the holes as it sits on the screws. Otherwise when you pull off the gimble assembly the transom plate will drop down out of place.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by picklenjim
The one with the allen headed bolt is the first design and the ones which have the U bolt are the third and final design. Problem with the first design is the upper swivel shaft is splined to the gimble ring and splined to the steering arm. This design made them develop a lot of slop in the steering. The upper swivel shaft in the ones with the U bolt are square cut where it fits to the gimble ring and square cut where they fit to the steering arm. U bolt design is superior. Hold the gimble ring with one hand and move the steering arm with the other hand to check for slop.
Will having full hydraulic external steering and no internal tiller arm help the longevity of the gimbal/gimbal ring?
Old 04-03-2012, 12:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by US MUSL
Will having full hydraulic external steering and no internal tiller arm help the longevity of the gimbal/gimbal ring?
Most deffinately, and you won't have the steering slop issues as I mentioned previously.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:20 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the other alternative is use the good one on the main steering side. the tie bar will keep the other in line. oh, the avatar is your boat? you already have hyd. never mind.

Last edited by dereknkathy; 04-03-2012 at 05:23 AM. Reason: saw his pic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.