Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Drives and Lower Units (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units-217/)
-   -   Wilson Lowers (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units/273743-wilson-lowers.html)

SME1 04-03-2012 11:15 PM

Wilson Lowers

Has anyone seen how they finish the lowers to make them have the brushed look? Flapper wheel?

1 MAIDEN AMERICA 04-04-2012 10:27 AM

I used a rubber block with 80 grit to give it the brushed look. Then folded a 2" X 2" piece over the leading edge to give it the vertical brush.

Keith Atlanta 04-04-2012 10:42 AM

Palm sander with 320 grit comes out nice.

wcmarine 04-05-2012 09:08 AM

The drives are hand finished. We have come to love a particular brand of paper and grit that works perfect and keeps the finsih longer. There is a purpose for the way we finish it also.
It also takes time. We spend anywhere from 6-8 hrs (on a #6, each) just finishing them.
We have been doing this for 25+ yrs.
The results are amazing. We do every type of drive. At the moment we have, #8's, #6's old and new, Imco SC and SCX, Sportsmaster outboard and inboard, and blackhawk, all in the shop as we speak.
The season is starting. For those of you that NEED ( want ) more speed, better handling and sexy looking drives. Give me a call 772-285-3562
Our real expertise, however , is in propellers. Just recently we modified a set of standard Hering props, and picked up almost 4 mph.
We work on every types!! Last month we reworked a pair of 36" diameter bronze propellers for an 80' luxury yacht. The boat wouldnt plane full of fuel, and took over 2 minutes when half full.
WCM came to the rescue. The boat planes in 20 seconds full of fuel, and picked up over 3 knots at WOT.
So get your gear to us whatever boat you have!!!

Craig

fuelcustoms 04-05-2012 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by wcmarine (Post 3656806)
The drives are hand finished. We have come to love a particular brand of paper and grit that works perfect and keeps the finsih longer. There is a purpose for the way we finish it also.
It also takes time. We spend anywhere from 6-8 hrs (on a #6, each) just finishing them.
The results are amazing. We do every type of drive. At the moment we have, #8's, #6's old and new, Imco SC and SCX, Sportsmaster outboard and inboard, and blackhawk, all in the shop as we speak.
The season is starting. For those of you that NEED ( want ) more speed, better handling and sexy looking drives. Give me a call 772-285-3562
Our real expertise, however , is in propellers. Just recently we modified a set of standard Hering props, and picked up almost 4 mph.
We work on every types!! Last month we reworked a pair of 36" diameter bronze propellers for an 80' luxury yacht. The boat wouldnt plane full of fuel, and took over 2 minutes when half full.
WCM came to the rescue. The boat planes in 20 seconds full of fuel, and picked up over 3 knots at WOT.

Craig

why not cnc the lowers.It would reducing man hours,accurate, and cost effective.

wcmarine 04-05-2012 04:34 PM

we have been down that path and it failed miserably. Most of the castings from the manufacturer are so bad, and with that I mean, not simmetrical, bent and overall out of shape that it makes it almost impossible to cnc them. Like I said, we have been doing this for 25+ yrs. We have been down every road, we have tested every shape, every tool, every thickness and we continue to test new ways to make it better. We will never, however, cut corners to save time and money and risk not putting out our best work everytime. As you all know, it takes no time to ruin a reputation that has taken years to build.
Happy easter everyone!

Craig.

TRL505 04-05-2012 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by wcmarine (Post 3656806)

Craig

I didnt know you guys did props? You did our SCX lowers for Lil R @ FPM. Engines are finishing up and should be able to get it wet in May. I sent you a text about the pic Wyatt posted of the finished lowers on my Thread in the Fountain Section....they look sick. Anyways, you guys were awesome to work with and we may be sending our Herings to you this fall.

Eric

offshorexcursion 04-05-2012 09:02 PM

What is the most and least speed gain seen finishing SC lowers?

Thanks

Mr Gadgets 04-05-2012 11:44 PM

Will you put a link to the pics of the SCX lowers that Wilson did.. I cant find it. And it is way late for a school nite. :)

peterunwin 04-06-2012 04:10 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I used a very course flexible body file to remove all the ripples and thin the skegs then finished of with 360 wet and dry lubricated with paraffin

Peter