Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
What is the cost to redo gimbal, bellows, etc. >

What is the cost to redo gimbal, bellows, etc.

Notices

What is the cost to redo gimbal, bellows, etc.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default What is the cost to redo gimbal, bellows, etc.

I am beginning to collect parts for winter 2013 (always thinking ahead) project of pulling motors and redoing my transom area. While I have it all pulled apart I figured it would be a good time to replace the gimbal bearing, bellows etc. I am not sure what all I would actually need to replace and was hoping someone could help me out.

So what would the cost to redo the gimbal area on a Bravo One be? And what parts does that include?
Old 04-09-2012, 04:44 PM
Registered

reason for redoing transom is I get water in the bilge area constantly. My bilge will kick on once every hour or so. I am also getting rid of the speedometer trailer, repainting bilge, replacing bilge pumps, adding drive showers, and possibly adding hydraulic steering. Money is going to start flying quick so I am fixing the important stuff first.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 367 Likes on 246 Posts

I think if you have a leak, chance are it could be fixed from outside. worst case is probably the gimball pin... pin is expensive if worn / rusted, around... 300$ I think. if your gimball ring is also worn, add another 800$. plus labor, but if you are doing it by yourself... cheaper ! besides this big part, bellows are probably the key...
Old 04-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Registered

What is the gimbal pin?
Old 04-10-2012, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

to make bellows last longer...PUT YOUR DRIVES DOWN ONCE THEY ARE HOME!!! people leave the up all week-all winter!!! they don't like that. but remember, they also don't like dragging skegs and props down the street. put them back up before you leave for the water again.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:51 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I recommend you find that leak now and correct it. Then you can do a complete rebuild of your transoms this winter.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:23 AM
Registered

Do the bellows and the gimal leak rather the motor is running or not running? Like I said its not a scary amount of water at all. Once an hour it will kick on for 10 seconds or so. Engine compartment is so tight I can't see squat on the lower side of the transom.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once an hour is quite often, you're taking on some pretty good water. Once is too often in my opinion. It may be your shift cable boot, they are the most common to leak. If it tears all the way you'll get water coming in pretty quick. You're also making your bilge pump work more, so if you burn out your pump and still have the water coming in, you could have a real problem.

I'd first make sure that something is leaking without the boat running, it may be as simple as loose line or a broken hose clamp.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

it is the shifter boot. trim up, leaks faster. trim all the way down for slowest. {i was thinking alpha. i think bravo acts the same though.} thru hull exhaust. check the plate that bolts over exhaust hole. they rot through.

Last edited by dereknkathy; 04-10-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:42 PM
Registered

Covered up at work so having a local marina inspect the transom next week to see what they think it is. They do a ton of drive work so hopefully they can find it and fix it quickly. I got 3 bilge pumps so I never worry about them burning up lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.