Mercruiser TR/TRS gimbal housing gasket >

Mercruiser TR/TRS gimbal housing gasket

Notices

Mercruiser TR/TRS gimbal housing gasket

Old 12-31-2012, 12:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercruiser TR/TRS gimbal housing gasket

Hi, getting ready to put the gimbal housing back into my 1985 Sea Ray 270 DA. (Just turned the 330 BW TR into a 540 stroker) Moved water tank and HWH to the bow for weight re-distibution...(kinda sounds political! ha!) I have all the Mercruiser manuals except # 3 part two whitch I think covers gimbal hsg re-installation. MY QUESTION IS...should I put the cork on dry..or should I use 3m 4000, or 5200 or what?? I do not want a leak, nor do I want to take it all out again. Thbanks for anyones thoughts, Pat Ryan (Best Marine Service Inc.)
Old 12-31-2012, 10:13 AM
Registered
VIP Member

I put mine on dry. After I had everything tight, I trimmed the excess with a razor blade.

Then, I put blue painters tape all the way around the transon with an 1/8" gap.

West marine sells tubes of stuff called Boat Life that can be used above and below the waterline.

Put a nice bead all the way around and remove the excess + smooth it out with a 10mm socket. After an hour or so, remove the tape and you have a perfect seal without mess...

Comes black, white and clear...about 26bux a tube
Old 12-31-2012, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the page out of the manual. You use bellows adhesive between the housing and gasket to keep it in place and nothing between the gasket and transom. If transom is clean and preped well and housing is installed correctly don't worry it won't ever leak. I replaced my gimble housing after 25 years and it never did leak. Still had original gasket on it. Manual you need is #5 TR/TRS Service Manual. PM me an email address and I can send it to you in PDF if you like.
Attached Thumbnails Mercruiser TR/TRS gimbal housing gasket-12-31-2012-10%3B17%3B18-am.jpg  

Last edited by picklenjim; 12-31-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by picklenjim
Here's the page out of the manual. You use bellows adhesive between the housing and gasket to keep it in place and nothing between the gasket and transom. If transom is clean and preped well and housing is installed correctly don't worry it won't ever leak. I replaced my gimble housing after 25 years and it never did leak. Still had original gasket on it. Manual you need is #5 TR/TRS Service Manual. PM me an email address and I can send it to you in PDF if you like.
Do you think you could send me one also, please. I have an 83 scarab thato reseal all of that .