Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
New Mercury Racing Gear oil >

New Mercury Racing Gear oil

Notices

New Mercury Racing Gear oil

Old 07-05-2013, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Two stroke oil in a 4 stroke as a lubricant?? Much of my business is based on two stroke motors and the oil is very different from a conventional 4 stroke oil. For starters it's designed to burn. Can't see how that property alone would be beneficial in a bbc. I'm curious and would like to hear more on the subject.

Sorry for the sidetracking....
Old 07-07-2013, 01:19 PM
SRQ
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CP5899, The comment you made on "that two stroke oil is meant to be burned and can't see how that property alone would be beneficial in a BBC" sent me wondering in a good way.
There is a remote possibility for a "plus" here. Oil control is a focal point for all high performance 4 stroke engine builders as we all know . I can't speak for all two stroke oils but I do have thirty plus years experience with Mercury branded oil. Obviously the three main factors for Mercury's two stroke TCW-3 oils are 1. High Lubricity at low coolant temperatures .2 Mixes well with Gasoline and ethanol based gasoline's and 3. leaves a light powdery fuzzy soft carbon behind (ashless as possible) that suppose to help prevent sticking pistons and rings.
As touchy as two strokes are to detonation and or preignition , I wonder if Two Stroke oils might be a +1 in this respect to reducing detonation. Anyone have any concrete facts here?

Now since we are all boat enthusiast here and run boats with mostly open cooling systems and generally at cooler block temps than our of our automotive counterparts I'm wondering how two stroke oils would hold up to our minimal temperature changes, windage and foaming, viscosity changes in relation to oil temp. , lubricity etc. etc. Additives are obviously way different. What would happen if the oil was changed after every race so we kept the diluent factor out of the equation since two stroke oil was never meant to absorb foreign compounds and disperse it evenly in the first place.

I still want to keep this thread on track for any info on the new Merc Racing Gear Oil but this side track on using two stroke oil in a Mercruiser peeked my interest. I may even want to start another thread on Two Stroke Oil in a 4 Stroke , or if anyone else wants to start it I'll jump in with both feet.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Last edited by SRQ; 07-07-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If two stroke oil is a pre ignition deterrent (don't think it is) then it still wouldn't help pre ignition in a 4 stroke because in a 4 stroke the oil isn't supposed to see the combustion chamber. Unlike a 2 stroke where it travels up the transfer ports directly into the combustion chamber. You bring up another point questioning how it would hold up under the 4 stroke conditions like getting beat by the crank, foaming, high pressures from the pumping system etc. I would be surprised if it did any of that well as the life span of 2 stroke oil is very short once it enters the engine from its storage in either the gas tank or oil holding tank. In a carbed motor it enters with the gas, lubes the crankcase lower bearings as it passes by traveling through the transfer ports to the tops of the pistons where it is about to be burnt with the fuel and air charge. What keeps the bearings lubed is the introduction of new gas and oil on every stroke the engine makes while its running.

Interesting topic for sure.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:13 AM
Registered

I have heard of some guys running 2 stroke oil in the drive for that extra little needed edge....but never in a motor crankcase. Neither sound smart for what most of us do but for a 25k+ win and everything on the line...maybe I'd think about it.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:29 PM
SRQ
Registered

Maybe we need to mix it with gasoline at a 50:1 ratio before we pour it in the crankcase to work correctly.

PLEASEPLEASE PLEASE fellows before you blow up this was only a two stroke joke..

But my ears are open to any merit for two stroke oil used in a Mercruiser. I didn't see the fellow in question here at the Sarasota races this weekend so I didn't get a chance to ask him face to face.

I wonder if 540Rat on the Speedtalk forum might be able to shed some light on this subject. I'll give him a jingle and see if I can get him to run a test on the Mercury premium two stroke oil.

In the meantime I still want to keep on track with the new Merc Race Gear oil.

Last edited by SRQ; 07-08-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone tried this new gear lube?
Old 09-12-2013, 09:50 AM
Registered

Most TCW-3 oils HAVE SOLVENT IN THEM, that's why they are so thin.

When the solvent evaporates, you now have the neat oil left.

Pour some two stroke oil out of the bottle into a pan and start warming it up on the stove.

You do not need a lot of heat, but after time the oil will be thicker because the solvent is gone.

Solvent is a bad lubricant.

Ken
Old 09-16-2013, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive used about 20 gallons of the new oil in XRs and some regular bravos that are used behind high horsepower motors, and in 2 stroke sportmaster gear cases. Ive also sold some to be used in a dry sump six. I havent got any of them back yet to check anything but also havent had any problems yet.