Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Extending Hydraulic Steering Rams....?? >

Extending Hydraulic Steering Rams....??

Notices

Extending Hydraulic Steering Rams....??

Old 07-26-2013, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default Extending Hydraulic Steering Rams....??

I changed from XR uppers to SCX's and I had a machinist adjust it so the tiebar would clear the swim platform when trailered up, but the rams for the hydraulic steering are now shorter and wont give me "full steering throw". I need to be able to add to the ends of the rams or add a block on the drive so the rams are not so fully extended when drives are straight. I can have something machined, but I would think there are longer ends that can be screwed on the ends of the Rams (they are slightly adjustable now). Anyone have suggestions as to where I can look for these? Looked at Latham marine website and didn't see anythng. ??? Thank you
Old 07-26-2013, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a pic of my boat but since I have boxes I have a block or an arm. Not sure what to call it. That is bolted to my transom that the steering ram goes to. I would think something like this would work for you too
Old 07-26-2013, 05:41 PM
Registered

This boat kinda has what I'm thinking of. Hope it helps. http://nh.craigslist.org/bod/3937840296.html
Old 07-27-2013, 09:18 AM
Registered

Here is a pic of my transom. I would think you could add somthing like this but maybe there are other options that Im unaware of.
Attached Thumbnails Extending Hydraulic Steering Rams....??-444_-2-red.jpg  
Old 07-29-2013, 07:45 AM
Registered

Thank you. What I am looking for is a longer "dog ear" piece that mounts to the bracket on the boat and to the end of the hydraulic steering ram. I will try and get a pic of mine now. It needs to be about an inch longer to let the ram fully extend for steering. The big stainless brackets you have on your uppers for the tiebar and rams to mount to, I had on my XR's, but they dont work on the SCX's. Thank you for your help!
Old 07-30-2013, 08:16 AM
Registered

I will call them. Thank you.