Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Drives and Lower Units (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units-217/)
-   -   Ordered Tie Bar- how do I adjust it? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units/301982-ordered-tie-bar-how-do-i-adjust.html)

glboatdriver 08-25-2013 05:28 PM

Ordered Tie Bar- how do I adjust it?

I have an Eddie Marine saddle mount tie bar on order. They are back ordered but they said two weeks and that was about two ago, so I am hopeful of getting it soon.

When I install it, how do I adjust it? The distance between the drives measures 34.5 from center of one outdrive to the other, measured at the center of the transom plate assembly directly above the Mercruiser decal. When I set up the tie bar, do I adjust so the back of the drives are 34.5? Or should they be closer or farther?

If it matters, these are Bravo IIIs.

Thanks

keith2500hd 08-25-2013 06:06 PM

search for toe-in or toe-out. different for different hulls/drives. I measure front leading edge and compare center point of prop shafts to determine. what props are you running.

sprink58 08-26-2013 01:30 PM

If you ordered it 34.5" that is what you will get. Just install and go.

glboatdriver 08-26-2013 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by keith2500hd (Post 3982985)
search for toe-in or toe-out. different for different hulls/drives. I measure front leading edge and compare center point of prop shafts to determine. what props are you running.

Thanks. I have stock Merc 28P props. I figured that with the inch or two wiggle in my port-side drive that the measurement from right at the transom would be most accurate. I'll try finding specific toe-in/toe-out info for the 330..

Cheers.

glboatdriver 08-26-2013 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by sprink58 (Post 3983418)
If you ordered it 34.5" that is what you will get. Just install and go.

Now that'd make life easy. The Eddie Marine bar looked like it had adjustment at the ends. I'll check back with Eddie Marine for some advice. I need to call anyway to be sure they are back in stock and shipping.

blue thunder 08-26-2013 06:11 PM

Being a duo prop drive setup I would set it straight, no toe in or out. Toe in/out is to compensate for props spinning in or out.

Measure the distance at the front of the bullet. Measure the distance center to center on the prop shafts. Make those 2 numbers even.

glboatdriver 08-26-2013 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by blue thunder (Post 3983592)
Being a duo prop drive setup I would set it straight, no toe in or out. Toe in/out is to compensate for props spinning in or out.

Measure the distance at the front of the bullet. Measure the distance center to center on the prop shafts. Make those 2 numbers even.

Thanks! I was confused about the toe-in v toe-out thing but this makes sense. Being dual props, the drives need not be adjusted to counter the unequal torque.

Cheers!

US1 Fountain 08-26-2013 08:12 PM

If you leave your inner tie bar on, make sure you always trim both drives the same amount, or at very least as near as same as your trim gauges read.
Never 1 up, 1 down. Or to avoid doing damage, just remove the inner bar. However that puts all the steering force on the SB steering components, providing both drives were tight to begin with.

glboatdriver 08-27-2013 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain (Post 3983679)
If you leave your inner tie bar on, make sure you always trim both drives the same amount, or at very least as near as same as your trim gauges read.
Never 1 up, 1 down. Or to avoid doing damage, just remove the inner bar. However that puts all the steering force on the SB steering components, providing both drives were tight to begin with.

Thanks. I plan to keep the inner Merc setup and pretty much use the "both" button for trimming and not the individual rocker switches.