Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Drives and Lower Units (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units-217/)
-   -   Mercury number 6 drive oil? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units/304301-mercury-number-6-drive-oil.html)

LV 10-17-2013 06:58 AM

Mercury number 6 drive oil?

What are people using?

Unlimited jd 10-17-2013 07:06 AM

Torco was the recommended oil, but merc recently came out with a new hi perf oil

LV 10-17-2013 07:08 AM

What torco is it?

302Sport 10-17-2013 07:08 AM

Run the heavy blue/green old merc hi-perf stuff, maybe 1mph slower but much safer for the drives

mike tkach 10-17-2013 07:28 AM

colabella rebuilt mine and he told me to use torco MTF.that,s what he put in them.

LV 10-17-2013 10:36 AM

Thanks guys!

Coolerman 10-17-2013 11:44 AM

A Torco rep told me a few years back that the RTF is a superior oil than the MTF. The only difference is that the MTF will absorb water if you have a propshaft seal go bad (you're screwed anyways).

Some lab tests showed that the merc gear oil is about as good as the torco RTF, but the merc gear lube will absorb water better. I know TNT puts the merc gear lube in drives that have pre-loads setup for turbine applications or large piston powerplants.

That being said, we run the NEO oil from the bravo shop. You can feel that the stuff is stickier than anything else, and our oil has been less discolored when changing it than any other oil. And we run some pretty big power through it on a heavy boat with a 1.5 gear set. We don't baby it either. Also, there are no issues with the NEO oil going through the #6 filter.

Lab tests have also shown that the Amsoil gear lube is good stuff. Don't run the engine oil though in your drives like some people say as it is completely the wrong additive package. Also, Red Line oil is big no-no in drives.

Knot 4 Me 10-17-2013 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Coolerman (Post 4013234)
A Torco rep told me a few years back that the RTF is a superior oil than the MTF. The only difference is that the MTF will absorb water if you have a propshaft seal go bad (you're screwed anyways).

Some lab tests showed that the merc gear oil is about as good as the torco RTF, but the merc gear lube will absorb water better. I know TNT puts the merc gear lube in drives that have pre-loads setup for turbine applications or large piston powerplants.

That being said, we run the NEO oil from the bravo shop. You can feel that the stuff is stickier than anything else, and our oil has been less discolored when changing it than any other oil. And we run some pretty big power through it on a heavy boat with a 1.5 gear set. We don't baby it either. Also, there are no issues with the NEO oil going through the #6 filter.

Lab tests have also shown that the Amsoil gear lube is good stuff. Don't run the engine oil though in your drives like some people say as it is completely the wrong additive package. Also, Red Line oil is big no-no in drives.

I've read where some people are running Amsoil 10W40 in their drives because Teague said he runs it in his #6's. NFW I'd do that.

Coolerman 10-20-2013 12:16 PM

Yep, it is the completely wrong additive package. It might work in some cases, but for pushing the limits it is a bad idea.

SS930 11-12-2013 07:08 AM

I've run Torco RTF, MTF, and even a 50:50 mix of both types in mine with excellent results (no shavings or issues).

I've heard several shops say they recently switched over to the newer Merc oil, although I have no experience with it and have also not seen the pricing. If it's priced reasonably, I will give it a try next season.