Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Drives and Lower Units (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units-217/)
-   -   upgrade bravo transom assembly (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units/308435-upgrade-bravo-transom-assembly.html)

lilguber06 02-10-2014 10:15 AM

upgrade bravo transom assembly

Where is the best place to get parts to upgrade a bravo transom assembly to a HD or HP .What are the best parts to use merc or imco?.

Fenderjack 02-10-2014 11:23 AM

Cheaper to buy a good used HP unit or even new.

brian41 02-10-2014 11:26 AM

IMCO is the better (stronger) part.

paul buckner 02-10-2014 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Fenderjack (Post 4072360)
Cheaper to buy a good used HP unit or even new.

I bought HP gambles and bells they look exactly the same as the stock ones I took off apart from the hinge pins they just push in and held in with very small screws . With the HP label I though I was getting the much bigger ones . I can't see them being any stronger .

vbot24 02-10-2014 02:17 PM

The gimble ring on the hp assembly is cast different internally and is supposedly 33% stronger.

paul buckner 02-10-2014 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by vbot24 (Post 4072432)
The gimble ring on the hp assembly is cast different internally and is supposedly 33% stronger.

Well that's nice to know ,I couldn't get a answer last time I post re the HP gimbles. thanks for clearing that up.

Fenderjack 02-10-2014 05:44 PM

At one time the HP rings were stronger. But I was told by a Merc Mech That after a certain date they were all cast the same way and out of the same material.That's what I was told. But the after market Imco units are strong.But for the price why go for it if you are not running big power. Stock units will take a beating. Just my 2 cents JOHN SR

paul buckner 02-11-2014 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Fenderjack (Post 4072549)
At one time the HP rings were stronger. But I was told by a Merc Mech That after a certain date they were all cast the same way and out of the same material.That's what I was told. But the after market Imco units are strong.But for the price why go for it if you are not running big power. Stock units will take a beating. Just my 2 cents JOHN SR

All cast the same way and out off the same material . I wonder which way they went , std Ring up to the strength of HP ring or lowered the strength of the HP ring down the the strength of the STD ring . I have no idea of the price diff as I bought mine of swap shop they came up for sale and as I was doing Gbearing / bellows / as swivel pin // s cable and thought it wouldn't hurt to do the little upgrade or so I thought . I am sure anyone thinking of changing out to these would like to know.

jerryhaney 02-11-2014 12:42 PM

Got any interested in just buying a rebuilt Imco gimbal? Just got done with it new bellows, bearing, new shift cable, transom seal, new bushings, rebuilt trim cylinders, Unfortunately I was asked to powdercoat it silver it to match a sportmaster lower and got stiffed. So it is silver. if interested email me [email protected]
Thanks