Notices

HP gimble rings

Old 02-20-2014, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP gimble rings

I have just fitted the HP gimble rings the ones with 2 screw s holding the hinge pins can any one tell me should there be fibre bushings in the gimble where the hinge pins go in. , I can't find them in the mercruiser schematics and I don't remember if they were in the ring ? Thanks for any help
Old 02-21-2014, 05:37 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes between the helmet and ring.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:43 AM
Registered

Default Paul

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Yes between the helmet and ring.
Thanks for the reply , Yes I have those you mean the Flat stick on fibre wear washers , I am talking about the bush type that push into the hole where the hing pin goes into , should there be some in there .
Old 02-21-2014, 09:04 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Paul,
does the pin fit in the gimble as a slip fit or is there a lot of slop? I can't remember what is in the gimbal. I know the helmet has a bushing, but can't remember if the gimbal has an insert. I just did a google search and found some pictures of HP gimbal rings, that may help you determine if something is missing on yours. If the pin is a slip fit, you should be good. But if it is sloppy.. then something is missing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hi+p...Q&ved=0CCYQsAQ

Hope that helps.
Dick
Old 02-21-2014, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Check this link, the window cut out for the HP shows no bushing.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...Steering+Lever
Old 02-21-2014, 12:05 PM
Registered

Thanks guys ,the reason I am asking is my pins just push in and pull out really easy and I have heard others on here saying they use a slidhamer to pull them out and bang them back in , plus after renewing everything there is now a mineute amount of up and down movement , too small to see but I can just about feel it on both drives and I do mean just about It can only be the pins ,every thing else is new .
Old 02-21-2014, 01:54 PM
Registered

Yes fiber bushing.. Check bammarine.com
Old 02-21-2014, 02:40 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

With the pins bolted in, they should not move. Some people need to slide hammer them out, but they should just pull in and out once the bolts are removed. Saltwater may have something to do with that. The few times I removed pins it was not a difficult task.
The up/down movement could be from the helmet bushing being a bit loose. I small amount of play would be acceptable. Just keep an eye on it that it doesn't get more movement over time.
There is a fiber washer between the helmet and Gimbal, and a bushing in the helmet. Not sure there is anything in the gimbal that is replaceable. Been too long since I looked at it.
Hope that helps.
Dick
Old 02-21-2014, 02:59 PM
Registered

Cheers for the info I think I am good to go as I said I can just about detect a movement ,the Hinge pins I have are for the HP rings which do not screw in just slide in and mine are held in with 2 small screws the later ones are held in with 4 screws I believe . Thanks All .