anyone running full synthetic gear lube in their outdrives >

anyone running full synthetic gear lube in their outdrives

Notices

anyone running full synthetic gear lube in their outdrives

Old 04-06-2014, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Borgie

Just because you sell it doesn't mean ya know everything. Learn something new everyday!
From someone randoms post on Bob is the Oil Guy? Just cause its on the internet doesn't mean its true. Now with that being said. There are strict parameters that, since we're talking gear oils, that a gear oil has to meet to qualify as a certain weight. Let's think about this for a second, why would they make both products?
The numbers are totally different between the products, hence the need for two separate gearlubes.
http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2043.pdf
Old 04-06-2014, 09:22 PM
Registered

"Clinging" gearlubes is exactly what you DO NOT want on your gears. Lucas is a big proponent of this type of advertising, and it is completely the opposite of what you want a gear oil to do. The clinging of gearlube leads to excessive heat throughout the gearcase and on the gears themselves, and a condition known as fluid friction. You want gear lube to on attach to the load faces of the gears and then fall off, leading to cooler temperatures. Why would you want gearlube anywhere but the load faces of the gears?
Old 04-06-2014, 09:30 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Bob is the oil guy site of today is more of so called public site compared when it first came out way back. The guy that started that site Bob from Florida use to be a dealer for Schaeffer Oil / St. Louis, MO. All the oil tech heads and Oil Analysis people along with a few chemists and few oil blenders left that site long ago. That site of today is more a form of opinions compared to when it first started. Anyways just throwing out my opinion as I use to know some of the people in some shape & form of the oil business that would give out their info on the site..

Last edited by BUP; 04-06-2014 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:04 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Amsoil SG 75w-110 currently. Also I am going to see how different gear oils effect outdrive gear oil temps internally. I have the complete kit / gear oil temp gauge with analog temp readout and a built in warning light that can be set to your desired max temp - along with the temp sender to install in your vent drain plug hole - wiring and so on for monitoring gear oil temps.

FYI, I will be selling them very soon. I have them for Mercruiser, Volvo Penta and OMC cobra outdrives. Price shipped to your door should be under 290 bucks for the complete kit. More info to come.

Last edited by BUP; 04-07-2014 at 12:28 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:36 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone offer a comparison of the Torco gear Lube to the Alysin 21 gear lube. Also, where to buy in the Midwest for both.

Thanks
Old 04-07-2014, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

FWIW, I've ran pretty much every oil on this thread. Did not have great results with some of these wonder lubes. Neo did not give me any more gear life than Merc Hi Perf gear lube. Presently running Delvac (full synthetic) 75-90 with pretty impressive results.

-In my application, (warmed 575SCI's, 30 Cigarette Twin Step, 34 Hering 5 blades) Lower gear pitting is a problem. I'm typically getting about 35 hrs before I'm seeing more metal on the magnets than I'm comfortable with. I then do a quick flush, swap drives side to side and wear the back sides of the teeth. I'm replacing lower gears about 70-80 hrs before something bad happens. -Got 4 drives, two spares ready to go at all times.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:16 AM
Registered

does any body know the amount of rust inhibitors in the severe gear compared to the marine synthetic which has 10 % i currently use the marine synthetic because of the rust inhibitors but would like to know if the severe gear has the same amount
Old 04-07-2014, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 07DominatorSS
"Clinging" gearlubes is exactly what you DO NOT want on your gears. Lucas is a big proponent of this type of advertising, and it is completely the opposite of what you want a gear oil to do. The clinging of gearlube leads to excessive heat throughout the gearcase and on the gears themselves, and a condition known as fluid friction. You want gear lube to on attach to the load faces of the gears and then fall off, leading to cooler temperatures. Why would you want gearlube anywhere but the load faces of the gears?
I would think you would, seeing that merc gear lube has "tackifiers" in it. If there is one company out there that does some serious r&d I have to give it to mercury. There is also a reason they didn't want to use synthetic motor oil and stuck with the 25/40 that they have had forever. Just my 2 cent
Old 04-07-2014, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I never understood why mercury recommends NOT using synthetic engine oil.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

would synthetic be over kill in a stock 502/bravo?

Originally Posted by Borgie
Fwiw most including mobil, Amsoil, redline NEO motul don't state the specific additives they use. Lubrication Engineers uses an additive that helps the cling and "climbing" ability of some gear oils. One of these is actually used in the power producing windmills located outside of Palm Springs California. The stuff is simply amazing to see in action.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.