Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
bravo1 shift cable r&r >

bravo1 shift cable r&r

Notices

bravo1 shift cable r&r

Old 10-29-2014, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I'm just doing the drive and cable bellows been fighting the old adhesive to remove. Thanks for the insight. I don't have an expander for the drive bellows will I be sorry?
Old 10-30-2014, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Bup ,I know you are a qualified merc tech kinda guy...But explain to me how a hole in the shift bellows will let water into the inside of a rear shift cable.. Into bilge ,yes ...But into inner cable, I'm not buying ....Please explain....

QUOTE=BUP;4203120]ken you make your fish for the new cable from the inner core wire of the old one U are pulling out. I posted this info up here a while back how to do it. Hopefully you can find it. Good luck Also we always changed the outer with new and a new inner core wire and new shift cable bellows and hose clamp regardless. If your bellows is rip that can bring water into the cable and stay wet so just replacing the inner core wire will not have longevity. Also the old outer can get kinked, nicked or chaffed over time. believe me I have seen my share of shift cable replacements for all alphas to all bravo apps.[/QUOTE]
Old 10-30-2014, 12:24 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Mr. Motor sorry my bad on this post., Heck I would'nt buy it either from my post because it sure was NOT detailed enough nor fully explained correctly as from a very poor explanation on my part. ( it should have really read) ie; ripped bellows and look to see for any split or worn shift cable area which could bring water in the cable.

Being in business and to avoid comebacks we always change out the whole darn cable assembly & bellows that is required by the OEM and procedures for warranty purposes plus following OEM training and procedures. Never in any of Mercruiser Service manuals they list just changing the inner core wire on top of that.

And to further explain we buy the whole shift cable kit and that's what the customer pays for as there is not a price just for the inner core wire alone nor a part # for it either to buy just that. The way I look at it is, like changing your motor oil (no pun intended ) and not changing the oil filter even if the motor (again no pun intended) has just sat around for years with no time on it.

Also for the recorded you forgot to add to the list along with "qualified Merc tech kind of guy" , Volvo Penta, Indmar, PCM, Crusader, OMC Sterndrives. No Ilmor but it will be coming on my list soon.

Last edited by BUP; 10-30-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:30 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by buck35
Yeah I'm just doing the drive and cable bellows been fighting the old adhesive to remove. Thanks for the insight. I don't have an expander for the drive bellows will I be sorry?
No worries... I never use an expander when replacing Merc bellows. You can push it on fairly easily.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Vinny P
No worries... I never use an expander when replacing Merc bellows. You can push it on fairly easily.
Good to know, I was a little worried about that, should be able to get it all back together this weekend. Brake clean worked along with a small wire brush, thanks for sharing that bup.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:16 PM
BUP
Banned

ken the bellows expander tool 91- 45497A1 is only used if you are installing the older style exhaust bellows not the U- Joint bellows. Like I said if you have silent choice or thru the drive exhaust you want to install the exhaust tube or AKA exhaust sleeve. if you have straight thru hull exhaust only do not worry about the exhaust bellows. Non needed then.

To install your U-joint bellows you will need the Sleeve installation tool (u Joint bellows) 91-818162 or you can use a ford oil filter of the correct diameter to tap / knock the aluminum round sleeve in to hold the outside end of the your U-joint bellows for the new install. Its all covered in the bravo service manual under Transom Assembly. if you can not find it let me know - not hard at all to do this repair.

You can clean the flanges with brake cleaner or carb cleaner or mild solvent, I like brake cleaner as no residue left behind and then lightly sand with either scotch brite pad or sand paper - not too rough then clean again with brake cleaner or denatured alcohol before installing new bellows on the flanges.

Last edited by BUP; 10-30-2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:13 AM
BUP
Banned

here is basically what I am talking about for installing the U-joint bellows and use this same type of set up for knocking / pushing the Aluminum ring in. Mercruiser lists this as a tip to use power tune on the inside lip of the bellows to help lube it for installing the aluminum ring. You can use soapy water like they say here in the link.

http://www.mercstuff.com/bellowsdriver.htm

Good luck.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:05 AM
Registered

Good to know, the oil filter trick. Just happen to have a couple in my shop.
thanks ,ken
Old 11-03-2014, 09:33 PM
BUP
Banned

Motorcraft FL -1A should do the trick for Bravo and Alpha installing the aluminum ring inside of the u-joint bellows. FYI. I have always had the tool but noticed years ago this filter fits perfectly.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but I have a question regarding the shift bellows. Is it possible to just replace the shift cable bellows? I have water getting into the bilge and believe a tear in the shift cable bellows is the culprit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.