Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Drives and Lower Units (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units-217/)
-   -   SSM #5 hight 2000 T/S Apache (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units/323425-ssm-5-hight-2000-t-s-apache.html)

Sick Stinger 02-23-2015 06:25 PM

SSM #5 hight 2000 T/S Apache

Looking for a little in site on where to mount the 5s on my boat. Going from a bravo to an SSM 5 drive. The bravo I did. Price was always looking for trim. Seems I couldn't trim it up enough it kept gaining speed. I ran it at 6 on the indicator so I woundt kick the crap out of the u joints and bearing. As of now the shaft was 4 below. In running 850 HPs that I'm going to turn up a little.

Unlimited jd 02-23-2015 06:31 PM

Even with the bottom unless you want to look for $$$$$ 5 blades. I don't think you'll gain much 1 or 2" above with big props, esp since your boat isn't notched.

I'CE 02-23-2015 08:08 PM

Nice set of 5-blade: 34X16.5x15 rake in the classified prop section, but does he have the power to turn them?

Unlimited jd 02-23-2015 08:16 PM

Maybe not sure what rake he's gonna need, but those could work. This is uncharted territory, But if I was doing it sounds like a prop I'd want to try

MILD THUNDER 02-23-2015 08:35 PM

When you have a SSM setup that needs tons of positive trim, theres a few things I would try.

Higher rake propellors. Not 15*, but 18*, 20* etc

Rounded ear blade tips rather than cleaver tips (hering makes them)

Props rotating inwards to leverage for bow lift.

possibly less diameter

The best setup is one that keeps the bullet of the drive nearly parallel with the bottom of the boat, while providing the best speed/handling. Rather than having to overtrim.

Is this setup going to have extension boxes?

43sv 02-23-2015 08:41 PM

Be careful high Xdemention will not let you carry the bow when you trim up. You also will be using clever props that will want to give you stern lift. Try and talk with the manufacture and ask his advise, this can be tough to take advise from people that dont have experience with your boat. My guess would be 1 inch below the bottom, the boat should be able to carry the bow when you trim positive.

I'CE 02-23-2015 08:54 PM

Mild, I agree on the rake, just saw those in the classifieds. Seems no boxes @ this time and leverage is important to carry the bow. And Mike should talk to Bobby>Mark

Sick Stinger 02-24-2015 01:10 AM

No boxes on the boat. Mounted direct to the transom as of rite now. Has 4 blade cleaver props on it I will get prop numbers of what they are.

Unlimited jd 02-24-2015 06:37 AM

Just to clarify it needed positive trim as a bravo boat, with 4 blade bravo 1 props.

CIG3 02-24-2015 10:40 AM

I would not go above the bottom with a straight bottom (no Notch) set-up without boxes unless you plan on adding boxes in the future. You are going to end up spacing them down to probably 2" below to get good bite and trim with speedmaster four blades spinning inward. If you add boxes in the future the box will naturally drop the drive due to the transom angle which is why you would want to be above without them.

As for props an 18* five blade would be a good start once you have a baseline with your four blades.