Like Tree9Likes

Thinking about making good TRS lower gears and shaft.. Any interest.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:01 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1984 Scarab 380, 1982 Sleekcraft Aristocrat
Default Thinking about making good TRS lower gears and shaft.. Any interest.

When I went looking for upgrade lower gears and a shaft for my TRS drives I found nothing..A company that I'm part of manufactures different gears etc. I'm thinking about tooling some lower gears made from 8620 and a shaft from 300M. Would there be any interest in these parts? It seems almost impossible to find even stock new parts for the TRS. I know this is the weak link and I'm sure the lower case is next. If I start breaking those I might look into making better lower housings.

I figure some good strong parts for the TRS might be a nice alternative to a pricey complete Konrad setup.
Thoughts?
Old 05-21-2015, 08:26 PM
Registered
Trade Score: (3)

My Boats: 36 Spectre "SHOWTIME"

I cant speak for the TRS but, IF you can make some bravo XR gears that are better than Mercury is currently making at a reasonable cost.........you will have trouble counting all your money.
thirdchildhood likes this.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:31 PM
SB
Registered
Trade Score: (1)

Liked the above (Bravo Post) 1,247 times ^^^^^^^

Read into patents and protection before you do. Merc famous for protecting almost everything, which I don't blame'm.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:42 PM
Registered

I highly doubt they have a patent on the gearset unless they came up with some crazy new gear pattern shape. Plus patents only last 25 years and i think that drive is older than that
Old 05-21-2015, 09:00 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1967 34 Hatteras summer house. 2000 Crownline 248ccr her boat. 79 Pantera 24 Sport.

the last TRS was made in 93. last OEM installed in a boat in 86. heck, the Bravo was patented no later than 88, so it's gotta be no longer protected...
Old 05-21-2015, 09:02 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awdgsx View Post
When I went looking for upgrade lower gears and a shaft for my TRS drives I found nothing..A company that I'm part of manufactures different gears etc. I'm thinking about tooling some lower gears made from 8620 and a shaft from 300M. Would there be any interest in these parts? It seems almost impossible to find even stock new parts for the TRS. I know this is the weak link and I'm sure the lower case is next. If I start breaking those I might look into making better lower housings.

I figure some good strong parts for the TRS might be a nice alternative to a pricey complete Konrad setup.
Thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra100+ View Post
I cant speak for the TRS but, IF you can make some bravo XR gears that are better than Mercury is currently making at a reasonable cost.........you will have trouble counting all your money.
I'll have to check and see what the xr gears are made of. They might already be something good but I doubt it. What breaks in the XR lower gears like the TRS?
Old 05-21-2015, 09:05 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereknkathy View Post
the last TRS was made in 93. last OEM installed in a boat in 86. heck, the Bravo was patented no later than 88, so it's gotta be no longer protected...
I can't help but wonder why nobody has done this yet. It's commonplace for us to have things like this made for our race cars.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:47 PM
Registered
Trade Score: (3)

My Boats: 22 Avanti, 25 Nova, 2 turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree,SBYC

Doug Fortin was years ago....
Old 05-22-2015, 07:53 AM
Registered

If I do this I'll probably do the XR gears too.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:04 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boats: 07 Fountain 38 Lightning600SCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awdgsx View Post
If I do this I'll probably do the XR gears too.
If you do them right, there is no shortage of customers. I have to replace upper and lowers on starboard this year. Replaced entire port drive last year. Boat has 300+ hrs, can't be mad but life would be better if I knew the new parts were better quality and durability.