Volvo Penta & Mercruiser >

Volvo Penta & Mercruiser

Notices

Volvo Penta & Mercruiser

Old 04-14-2016, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo Penta & Mercruiser

Growing up (i.e. long ago) it appeared there was sort of a geographical dividing line between Volvo Penta and Mercruiser use. VP was popular on the east coast, Mercruiser in the midwest, west coast (I can't speak to that). Now for most commercial boats Mercruiser has dominated the market with the exception of 2 quality boat builders I can think of (Cobalt & Crownline). I have always been a big fan of VP drives and come to think of it my last 3 boats had them (not by choice, it just worked out that way). Any thoughts on why Mercruiser is now dominating the market? Is it cost, parts, quality? ...I believe in the past it had been a parts thing.(?)
Old 04-14-2016, 05:09 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Throw out the Brunswick owned boat companies ( Sea Ray, Bayliner ) and you might think differently.

If it wasn't a performance application, I'd take a Volvo over a Merc....Volvo actually appears to have an R&D department....merc just copies
what volvo produce's after patents expire.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:09 AM
Registered

Having just finished an intensive new boat search that included fountains, velocity, baja, sonic, powerquest, etc., almost all of these came with bravo 1's with some in the low to mid 300hp range running alphas. I've seen a few tsr and even fewer "big boy drives"...but really, no VP's beyond cobalt and crownline (I missed the bayliner and sea ray, these weren't under consideration).
Old 04-15-2016, 12:50 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Performance boats are predominantly merc powered...you listed Crownline and Cobalt which for the most part, fall into the runabout category...
with that being said, my answer wasn't directed to any specific category, just as a whole.

Performance boats....I've seen a few Scarabs and Formula's with DPX's, but that's about it.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:03 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

In my world --I have a Cobalt-- we live and boat in southern Michigan. There are very few Volvo dealers or repair facilities nearby. And from what I've been told parts are difficult to get. I know most of the newer Cobalts have been outfitted with Volvo's which is kinda disappointing to me. I have always liked Mercury and Mercruiser engines and outdrives.

My 2 cents

3pointstar
Old 04-15-2016, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 3pointstar
...I know most of the newer Cobalts have been outfitted with Volvo's...
I don't think that is true. You can order any boat with Mercury or VP power. Even the large boats offer Mercury or VP
diesel options. Perhaps what you are seeing is a dealer specific preference. For as long as I can remember the
two dealers I frequent, Gordy's and Beacon, have always sold a majority of Mercury products. Now when I almost
bought a boat from the dealer in Coeur d'Alene, ID, he sells mostly VP equipped boats, he said VP's were just better.
I know for many years there was trouble with the Mercury B3, corrosion and over heating, so maybe some dealers now
choose to equip the smaller runabouts with VP's. Duo-Props and B3's on small under powered boats really improve
the performance.

...and yes I know MOST COBALTS are small slow runabouts...but not all...so you guys with 40 ft. Beaks or Skaters
don't need to rag my a$$.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:04 PM
Registered

Depending on which address I use, home or the lake, I have 3 dealers to choose from as my "local" cobalt dealer. One sells them with nothing but Merc., one sells them with nothing but VP, one only stocks Merc, but will order either. Doing a boat trader search and looking at what is sitting on dealer lots for sale, Volvo is about triple when you look nationwide.
My last boat was a Merc. Current is a Volvo. I've got no issues with either manufacturer.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:58 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Many independent boat manu's use Volvo because they are in comp for market share with Bayliner, Sea Ray, Maxum and when Baja was owned by Sea Ray Industries, all of these are Brunswick own boat companies inwhich Brunswick owns Merc and Mercruiser.

Cobalt boats use Volvo Penta in 75 % min of their builds for the past 18 years. Their feeling is why feed the competition profits when buying / installing a Mercruiser / (Sea Ray). Both engines Mercruiser and Volvo has their negatives and positives.

Volvo by fay has a better transom assembly and a better outdrive especially a Volvo DP vs a Merc Bravo III. I know I work on both of them and see day in and day out Volvo has less transom and outdrive problems compared to the Bravo's and the Alpha's.

Also by far Cobalt is a better built boat than Sea Ray year after year. Just saying

Last edited by BUP; 04-15-2016 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:14 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by scottgjerdingen
Any thoughts on why Mercruiser is now dominating the market? Is it cost, parts, quality? ...I believe in the past it had been a parts thing.(?)
IMHO It was because back in the day Merc had trim standard and Volvo Penta trim was a super special option. Also the Merc case is slimmer and more streamlined for performance then the Volvo. Once they were on race boats no one looked back. Win on Sunday sell on Monday.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:20 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

the 2007 and newer Volvo penta SX and DP are more hydro efficient than the Bravo 1 and the Bravo III.

Volvo even redesigned the skeg as well to help in that area.

The Older Volvo DPX was one heck of a drive for a twin prop app. That drive kills the Bravo III in every aspect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.