Notices

Volvo Penta & Mercruiser

Old 04-16-2016, 12:22 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

and here is the streamline - for the the Volvo DP

http://img.nauticexpo.com/images_ne/...503-233069.jpg

And on stock OEM apps NON thru the transom exhaust - Volvo reduces the exhaust back pressure alot better than Mercruiser. I am talking about stock production apps only here.

Last edited by BUP; 04-16-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey bup, any chance you just missed the pm I sent with a vp question? If you'd rather not answer, I get it. Just curious is all.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:29 PM
BUP
Banned

You sent me a PM - I had no idea - when ? 99 % of the time they are full - Sorry about that one. What was your PM about ?
Old 04-16-2016, 12:31 PM
BUP
Banned

Asking again you mean a OSO PM or email ? I never got either so just checking for the reason how I missed it or never got it ?
Old 04-16-2016, 12:32 PM
BUP
Banned

and a here is a pic of the Bravo III in comparison of the Volvo newer Volvo DP 2007 to current

http://s66.photobucket.com/user/CAHo...drive.jpg.html

http://img.nauticexpo.com/images_ne/...503-233069.jpg
Old 04-16-2016, 12:36 PM
BUP
Banned

http://www.volvopenta.com/VOLVOPENTA...features1.aspx
Old 04-16-2016, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My next door neighbor has a 24 Cobalt with the 6.0 LS / duoprop Volvo package. It is impressive to say the least. 380 horsepower, small block weight, 6000 RPM redline, accelerates extremely hard. Several people around here run Volvo packages, it's very rare any of them have issues with the drives.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
You sent me a PM - I had no idea - when ? 99 % of the time they are full - Sorry about that one. What was your PM about ?
Looks like your PM box was/is full.

I want to add a transom remote trim switch to my Cobalt. VP380 with EVC. I found a plug in the wiring harness labelled remote trim with a blank plug in it. Is it as simple as mounting it up, and wiring in to that harness? At one time I read having EVC meant a second trim switch wasn't an option. Of course Cobalt said take it to your local dealer, who wants $500+ for what looks to be a $60 part and half an hour of work.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:18 PM
BUP
Banned

Volvo's Electronic Vessel Control system stores the trim positions. if i recall correctly the remote can be hooked up but possible the power trim calibration might have to be performed again for a secondary trim switch and or remote feature function calibrated / set so the EVC recognizes it.

Just some added info. EVC - power trim with lever control(s) button(s) - the lever calibration has to be done first before the power trim calibration . If not done in that order then the power trim will not be activated.

I can see a qualified shop charging 375 bare min for the parts and labor. Cobalt dealers usually are higher with labor plus some mark up parts higher than retail.

Last edited by BUP; 04-17-2016 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
Volvo's Electronic Vessel Control system stores the trim positions. if i recall correctly the remote can be hooked up but possible the power trim calibration might have to be performed again for a secondary trim switch and or remote feature function calibrated / set so the EVC recognizes it.

Just some added info. EVC - power trim with lever control(s) button(s) - the lever calibration has to be done first before the power trim calibration . If not done in that order then the power trim will not be activated.

I can see a qualified shop charging 375 bare min for the parts and labor. Cobalt dealers usually are higher with labor plus some mark up parts higher than retail.

Thanks. Glad to confirm the dealer isn't just trying to stick me too bad. What you said sounds like what I was told last year, that adding a switch and moving the drive while the EVC system is off would confuse it. I would have thought the EVC would reset its zero position automatically every time the system started up. I sure do like the auto trim function, especially when I let others drive the boat, but it seems like it's overly complicated for what is a pretty basic function. I think I'll pass on adding the switch unless I start trailering it more than I currently do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.