Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
SSM III to Bravo XR Sportsmaster -  Help and/or Templates needed. >

SSM III to Bravo XR Sportsmaster - Help and/or Templates needed.

Notices

SSM III to Bravo XR Sportsmaster - Help and/or Templates needed.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SSM III to Bravo XR Sportsmaster - Help and/or Templates needed.

I've scoured this forum for a definitive answer on this and have not managed to find anybody who has done this conversion (although I am sure there must be many), so any advice will be gratefully received.

I help a friend with his Race-Boat preparation (have raced it with him too). We are looking to swap out the existing bulldog/SSMIII running gear to a 502/256 Blower on a Bravo XR Sporty.

We are trying desperately to avoid another load of glass-work as it had an all new transom (and stringers, knees etc) when we did its original refit a few years back.

I have been searching for any conversion kits that will "Mechanically" do the job. I stumbled upon this conversion from a TRS/SSM2 using a VOLVO/Bravo kit:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...00-00-a-6.html

I am wondering whether this may work on an SSM3 Transom (or at least be very close, perhaps just requiring a few old holes to be doweled). Unfortunately I have no means of comparing the transom assembly sizes as I do not have the templates for the Volvo, TRS, SSM2 or SSMIII. The SSMIII is supposed to be available on the Brunswick marine download page, but it doesn't seem to work! If I had the templates, I'm quite sure an easy fabrication could be made to sort this problem.
http://download.brunswick-marine.com...egories=&mod=7

Does anybody have these templates available?

I fully appreciate that the input to drive shaft distance is greatly decreased between bravo and SSMIII. I think I have a difference listed of 2.75" (24.25" SSMIII and 21.75" Bravo). However, the current SSMIII was installed conservatively low and I also have a few Bravo spacer kits available, so I am confident I can make that side of things work ok.

Any help, input, experience or thoughts on the above would be genuinely appreciated.

A Couple of Pictures from around the time we replaced the transom:

[IMG]www.roselock.com/videos/WLT1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]www.roselock.com/videos/WLT2.jpg[/IMG]

A Couple of Pictures of the boat running last season:

[IMG]www.roselock.com/videos/WL.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]www.roselock.com/videos/WL1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]www.roselock.com/videos/WL2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]www.roselock.com/videos/WL3.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]www.roselock.com/videos/WL4.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by captain chaos; 07-11-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 457 Likes on 243 Posts

there is a transom thread on oso, i'll try to find, basically

take a router and cut the outside of the transom about 2-3 inches outside the transom assembly cutout, at a depth of 1 inch.

1 piece of 3/4 marine ply fits the cutout, 1 piece of ply fits the route out. bond the 2 together, and install.

it's a good read with pics, and 1 or 2 pro glass guys gave it the approval.

i'll try to find it as well,
Old 07-12-2016, 06:57 AM
Registered

as I said, trying to avoid glass work. but i would be most appreciative, just in case i have to go that route
Old 07-12-2016, 10:22 AM
Registered

i would be surprised if there was a conversion plate for anything above a trs to bravo.

any way i googled (routing transom offshoreonly), and came up with this thread,

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...om-repair.html

it's not routed w/ round corners but it's the idea.

actually only scrolled down to the first set of pics, then posted, then went back and started srolling again, i think this is the exact post i was talking about, it has pics, diagrams and words of wisdom from glassdave, that pretty much means it's step by step instructions

Last edited by outonsafari; 07-12-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts

Why in the world would you downgrade from a ssm3 to a bravo?
Old 07-12-2016, 03:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ttuton
Why in the world would you downgrade from a ssm3 to a bravo?
Well in short, its 30+ years old (and whilst in super condition), living in the UK means absolutely no spares, no service, no props, no anything!

Bravo is a great deal easier, interchangeable and readily available parts, prop choice incredibly easy.

Another major consideration is that its a 31ft boat that has to fit its "Historic class" so with 'only' 550-600hp we were looking for a less power hungry drive train (we've assumed that a doug nash + SSMIII was considerably more than a bravo, no?)
Old 07-12-2016, 03:05 PM
Registered

@Outonsafari............... thats great, thanks for your help
Old 07-13-2016, 06:22 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would build a standoff box with aft being bravo forward SSM

Steve
Old 07-13-2016, 08:31 AM
Registered

Interestingly, we discussed that option as I have an ITS shaft for the bravo.

Idealy though, it still leaves me wanting some drawings for the SSM transom assembly (and now an ITS box) as I'd want to CAD this up and have the various pieces laser cut. Freehand fabrication really wouldnt be my forte!
Old 07-13-2016, 08:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by smiklos@sunprint
I would build a standoff box with aft being bravo forward SSM

Steve
not to screw the thread up,
my boat was rigged w/ #5 on box, and since i know there is not a #5 or #4 (trans thru prop shaft complete) out there for less than the price of the moon, i have to convert to bravo and the transom issue you have is where i'll be in august
that speedy to bravo box is a great idea it would just depend on the price vs. a transom patch, (when it comes to my wallet)

back to you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.