IMCO lowers and water pressure >

IMCO lowers and water pressure

Notices

IMCO lowers and water pressure

Old 04-03-2017, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts
Default IMCO lowers and water pressure

Who out there is running IMCO lower(s) and are you using pressure relief valves for your water pressure? Last year I ran sport masters and I didn't run pressure relief valves, but I've read that high water pressure can be an issue with IMCO lowers. If I need to run them, I'd rather plumb the boat for them while I have one of the engines out.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

if you are planning on using a stock imco with a stock water pickup, you will have a hard time getting the water pressure to an acceptable level. your best bet is to weld up the stock pick up and drill a new pick up hole
Old 04-03-2017, 10:19 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I never had any problems with water pressure on the Scarab.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd use a mechanical gauge and check the pressure before getting too carried away with plumbing something you may not have a problem with
Old 04-04-2017, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

One thing though - I didn't run all of the water through the exhaust. I dumped the water that used to go to the riser elbows out the back.This may have lowered the pressure.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

My pressure was too high. After blowing 2 hoses. I installed a mechanical water pressure gauge, pressure relief valve and dump it out next to bilge dump. Standard length lower. If you run in any shallow water it will vacuum the bottom with the low water pick up. I am thinking about putting the stock lower back on mine.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
One thing though - I didn't run all of the water through the exhaust. I dumped the water that used to go to the riser elbows out the back.This may have lowered the pressure.
I have a feeling that would make a big difference, this is why I am asking. Right now all my water runs through the exhaust.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Revd Up
My pressure was too high. After blowing 2 hoses. I installed a mechanical water pressure gauge, pressure relief valve and dump it out next to bilge dump. Standard length lower. If you run in any shallow water it will vacuum the bottom with the low water pick up. I am thinking about putting the stock lower back on mine.
What kinds of speeds were you seeing? I should be in the upper 80's with this new set-up. I've read more than once that a -2 Sportmaster is no faster than a standard length B1, which is what I was running last year. I think this explains why I was only seeing the gains I did last year.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Low to mid 80's