Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
XR Uppers questions >

XR Uppers questions

Notices

XR Uppers questions

Old 10-01-2017, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call and speak with mr gadgets . I do not want to speak for him but what he has to say makes a lot of sense. He has an all new take on xr drive gears and how to make a drive last compared to others builders. Jeff wurl
Old 10-02-2017, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

My clutch shaft snapped in half at the oil hole and took out the upper. George has bins full of snapped clutch shafts that all broke in the same place. He has redesigned it and added a larger bearing. The only thing you can do with the gears is have them cryo'd which I did for mine. I know that someone is working on the gears and can't wait until he gets them done. I don't know of anyone that will warrant a drive for 24 months with 700hp other than AADS.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:52 PM
VIP Member

Do not run the drive left hand rotation. When you do, the driven gear exerts upward pressure on the top cap. Right hand is to the floor, which is stronger. I know from a few personal experiences. If you see metal flakes and pitting, you will need a new upper gear set and go thru the whole drive.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:15 PM
Registered

Smith is correct. Much stronger running in right hand for the above reasons. Some boats like my formula and single engine fountains run left hand props . I have a max machine billet to cap that is 3-4 times thicker than the original xr top cap. It helps . I tried running a right hand prop and the boat majorly tilts to one side therefore the reason the prop is a left. Jeff wurl