Question regarding the lower vertical pin that holds the drive on >

Question regarding the lower vertical pin that holds the drive on

Notices

Question regarding the lower vertical pin that holds the drive on

Old 09-28-2017, 06:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question regarding the lower vertical pin that holds the drive on

I have a Bmax and after a 120 mile run I pulled the boat and put it on the trailer. When I walked by the transom I realized the lower vertical pin that allows the drive to go side to side was hanging down just about all the way. I think I got lucky it didn't come all the way out while running. What's the deal with this pin? It looks to be in good shape. It was held in with a cotter pin and the cotter pin broke allowing it to slide out. Is this as simple as slide it back in and put a new cotter pin in? Is there something I should be looking at that may have caused this? I find it strange there is no grease fitting or something. I'm no expert. Any advice guys? Or just slide it back in and throw a new cotter pin in? Also is there a name for this thing?
Old 09-28-2017, 07:09 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 248 Likes on 124 Posts

put it back in with a stainless cotter pin...have seen this a few times...once it got ripped out from a ski rope wrapped around the drive and the others seem to have just broke the cotter pin..I would check clearances on the pin however as it should go in relatively hard if I remember correctly..maybe get a new pin too...just my thoughts

Stewart
Old 09-28-2017, 07:15 AM
Registered

Thank you. I appreciate the quick reply. I couldn't find stainless cotter pins locally so I ordered a 125 piece assortment of them for 20 bucks. Figured they would go to good use. I would like to just replace the pin for good measure. I did a quick google search and could only find the top pin. What is it called? I can always just call the bravo shop too. They have been very helpful for me in the past
Old 09-28-2017, 07:25 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I cant remember mercurys name for it but its the lower pivot pin as you know...you should be able to google a schematic for the gimbal ring housing and get a part number

stewart
Old 09-28-2017, 08:37 AM
Registered

Thanks again Stewart. Just got it in. A little tough because there is no straight shot but it's in. After looking at the old cotter pin I'm not sure it even snapped. It looks like POSSIBLY the last person to touch it couldn't get a long enough one in there and just threw a short one in and hoped it didn't back out. Either way it's correct now. I'll get a new pin for next year
Old 09-28-2017, 08:43 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

cool cool...glad to help!!