Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Bravo 1 upper rebuild with stock or upgraded gears? >

Bravo 1 upper rebuild with stock or upgraded gears?

Notices

Bravo 1 upper rebuild with stock or upgraded gears?

Old 01-24-2018, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Perhaps he is calling the X drive gears with a thicker floor an upgrade. Those can be installed in older standard Bravo drives by setting the races deeper.

If your housing is ate up from the salt use, it’d be a consideration to go with the rebuild. Your drive has lasted this long as the old design, no reason it won’t go another if you just need a new set of bearings and all else is good.
You are correct, I'm referring to the thick floor gears vs the Gen 1 style gear set.

Also, I can get a fresh rebuild (like new housing) for $2K with the original gear set, $2200 for the thick floor's or $1600 with my old housing and using/replacing/rebuilding the worn parts. All of the work would be thru the same shop, the builder very trustworthy and does great work - the $600 difference is between using my housing or going with a better hsg and gears
Old 01-24-2018, 10:43 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Myself, I’d choose by which housing condition you want and not focus on the gears, but if I follow you, it’s only $200 more for the better gears as both the 2000 and 2200 have a replacement housing? Are the clutches new too? You didn’t have a gear failure, but a bearing that has served its time from what I gather.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 01-24-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, my bearing were the problem. But with the thick floor gears the bearing desigb changed as well, assming for the better?