XR Drive Maintenance >

XR Drive Maintenance

Notices

XR Drive Maintenance

Old 07-13-2019, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XR Drive Maintenance

I've got a XR drive in my 28ft Conquest, with 120 hours on it. I know how to change the drive oil, but I have some questions on the greasing points. There is a zerk fitting on the right side of the drive. What does that grease? How many pumps of grease, and how often? Is there any more zerk fittings inside the boat near the transom?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:20 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

That zerk is for the gimbal bearing. 2-3 pumps a year is plenty.

Other zerks are possibly on U joints and drive needs to come off for that. Then a zerk to grease the coupler splines.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Griff
Old 07-14-2019, 09:24 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 248 Likes on 124 Posts

Personally as griff mentioned the drive needs to come off to grease the u-joints if they have zirks...some do some don't...at that time I would reach in and spin the gimble bearing by hand and clean out all the old grease from the inside of the bellow and grease it while the drive is off...believe it or not I have seen one lock up due to too much grease...I would then grease the splines prior to sticking the drive back on as getting to the zirk on the coupling can be a b!tch and will make a mess behind the motor if you pump too much in and it will fling everywhere

Everyone has their own ways of doing things but as easy as it is to do I prefer to pull the drive and get my hands on things and see what's going on instead of blindly pumping grease into bearings and splines as mercury intended lol