Old 03-05-2018, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

Just tape over the lower hole with black gorilla tape. Works fine
Old 03-05-2018, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Sorceress
I did see the OEM DWP flusher on Ebay. It costs $82.00. It does have a bungee chord that holds it on and also has a hose attachment. Looks like you put it on with the bungee chord and just turn on the water. I guess then it would be a good idea to block off the vertical inlet holes on the lower drive where my normal flusher mounts. I think I could fabricate a mount to just block off the DWP along with a bungee chord which would be less expensive than spending $82.00 on a piece of plastic and bungee.
that for lwp only drives.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did get a chance to take out the boat after the rebuild. No more noise coming out of the drive and no more oil drive fluid coming out of the drive oil container. Very happy with the rebuild. The rebuilder had to replace both upper and lower gears, along with some bearings. So, as I was told, "this is a high performance drive and will always be noisy", by the previous owner. I now believe the first owner was well aware of what was going on and sold it to the second owner who had no boating experience. That is what the first owner said to the second owner. Where I made my mistake was to have a marine surveyor look over the boat and then tell me everything checked out after charging me $500. Lesson learned, no matter how much it costs, you need to look at the boat in person and not rely on a third party. Its funny, when I asked the second owner why he was selling the boat after only owning it for about 4 months he told me, "this boat is too fast for my family and my wife is afraid to go out with me". It's amazing how some people can sleep at night.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:12 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

...Its funny, when I asked the second owner why he was selling the boat after only owning it for about 4 months he told me, "this boat is too fast for my family and my wife is afraid to go out with me". It's amazing how some people can sleep at night.

I wouldn't necessarily call BS to that story. When I sold my 32 Fountain, we went for a test ride on a small close lake. New owner just wanted some driving tips. Going for a simple short run at about 50mph, I turned to look backwards and saw his wife in the back seat sitting damn near on the floor afraid to look up. They still bought it. Dont know if they kept it.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:05 PM
Registered

Well the drive was completely rebuilt. Will be picking up the boat later next week. Because it has a lower water intake what is the best way to flush. I have just been placing the muffs over the vertical water intakes but doing so just causes a lot of water to be dispersed through the low water intake causing less water to get up into the motor for flushing. Should I order the OEM Mercury low water intake flusher and if so who would have the best pricing?

do do you mind me asking how much you paid for the rebuild? I was quoted around $5k today for new upper gears and bearings. I don’t have a copy of the actual breakdown yet but just trying to see if it’s in the neighborhood. Thanks!
Old 03-31-2018, 11:34 AM
Registered

Cool boat and glad to hear you got it fixed up! Great decision to be proactive... now you have a good piece of mind to enjoy it! Where do you normally run?