Notices

Bravo XR Rebuild

Old 02-21-2018, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo XR Rebuild

Just recently bought a 2008 Advantage X-Flight 29 with the 525 EFI and Bravo XR drive. First time out the drive, while under way, had a very loud whining sound that could be heard over the open exhaust sound and spraying drive oil all over my engine bay even with a drive shower. I only noticed this when I got home and opened the engine bay. Another issue was the fact that the drive alarm did not go off once the drive oil level fell below the add drive oil marker on the remote drive reservoir. Was told by the previous owner the whine was normal for that drive and once or twice a season he had to top off the drive reservoir. My last two boats had Bravo one drives so I believed what he had told me. Decided to take it in for servicing on Monday to play it safe and now find out the drive was about to fail. Looks like both the upper and lower gear sets will need to be replaced alone with some bearings. Lesson learned, as they say, buyer beware.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 465 Likes on 361 Posts

Bummer, sorry to hear
Old 02-21-2018, 04:43 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 217 Likes on 126 Posts

I’ve rebuilt more than my share of XR’s and I’ve never had to replace the upper and lower gear sets at the same time, more often than not,it’s the uppers, and yes, they do develop a whine to them
Old 02-21-2018, 04:55 PM
Registered

I too just took apart my XR and found the upper and lower gear sets were pitting. There was no whining with mine. I did break my other side last year so i was looking in to this one this year to prevent another break. I think my issues was from poor oil and maintenance from the previous owner. Last summer was my first with the boat and it only has 260 hours on 525's in a 35 fountain. I am just starting to look into other options
Old 02-25-2018, 09:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I use Amsoil ,,Severe Gear 75-90 ,,full synthetic gear oil .
Old 02-26-2018, 08:21 AM
Registered

The spraying drive oil is most likely coming from the reservoir, it would be very tough for drive oil to get thru the transom assembly. There is an o ring in the cap of the reservoir, and if thats gone it will spray drive oil all over your engine and bilge area.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:47 PM
Registered

Well the drive was completely rebuilt. Will be picking up the boat later next week. Because it has a lower water intake what is the best way to flush. I have just been placing the muffs over the vertical water intakes but doing so just causes a lot of water to be dispersed through the low water intake causing less water to get up into the motor for flushing. Should I order the OEM Mercury low water intake flusher and if so who would have the best pricing?
Old 03-04-2018, 11:14 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Sorceress
Well the drive was completely rebuilt. Will be picking up the boat later next week. Because it has a lower water intake what is the best way to flush. I have just been placing the muffs over the vertical water intakes but doing so just causes a lot of water to be dispersed through the low water intake causing less water to get up into the motor for flushing. Should I order the OEM Mercury low water intake flusher and if so who would have the best pricing?
mercury sells a piece that straps on to block the low water pickup holes
Old 03-05-2018, 06:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sorceress
Well the drive was completely rebuilt. Will be picking up the boat later next week. Because it hasw a lower water intake what is the best way to flush. I have just been placing the muffs over the vertical water intakes but doing so just causes a lot of water to be dispersed through the low water intake causing less water to get up into the motor for flushing. Should I order the OEM Mercury low water intake flusher and if so who would have the best pricing?
If you have DWP on your lower and a someone to help you. While drive is dry place tape on lower water pick up and muffs on side pick ups. As you start motor have other person turn water on. This will work fine. The trick is the person turning water on isn’t to quick and blow tape off
Old 03-05-2018, 07:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Clustergear

If you have DWP on your lower and a someone to help you. While drive is dry place tape on lower water pick up and muffs on side pick ups. As you start motor have other person turn water on. This will work fine. The trick is the person turning water on isn’t to quick and blow tape off
I did see the OEM DWP flusher on Ebay. It costs $82.00. It does have a bungee chord that holds it on and also has a hose attachment. Looks like you put it on with the bungee chord and just turn on the water. I guess then it would be a good idea to block off the vertical inlet holes on the lower drive where my normal flusher mounts. I think I could fabricate a mount to just block off the DWP along with a bungee chord which would be less expensive than spending $82.00 on a piece of plastic and bungee.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.