Trim sender and limit switch >

Trim sender and limit switch

Notices

Trim sender and limit switch

Old 06-26-2018, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trim sender and limit switch

After watching the video about replacing both trim units, I would like to know where I can buy the kit that was in the video.
Is the bulkhead fitting included?
I like the fact that the boot on the wires ​​allowed it to only go so far and provided the proper length at the housing.
Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 06-26-2018, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maasgroup
After watching the video about replacing both trim units, I would like to know where I can buy the kit that was in the video.
Is the bulkhead fitting included?
I like the fact that the boot on the wires ​​allowed it to only go so far and provided the proper length at the housing.
Any help is greatly appreciated
What video? Got a link to it?
Old 06-26-2018, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What drive are you talking about?
Old 06-26-2018, 09:50 PM
Registered

I'm referencing the merc cruiser Alfa one drive.
It was a you tube video by njhome repair that showed replacing both the trim sending unit and the trim limit switch without removing the outdrive.
I googled trim sender replacement and found the video that showed this.
I don't undrrstsnd why no one seems to get what I'm talking sbout
Old 06-27-2018, 12:06 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I've seen the video your are referencing and I believe the kit is no longer available. Not sure why, but I looked extensively as well. There are several other youtube videos where people have completed it without removing the gimbal, but it is necessary to remove the outdrive, at least in my experience. All your out there is an $11 gimbal/outdrive gasket and an opportunity to inspect your u-joints, bellows, etc. I just completed it about a month ago. Several people make their own extended 7/16" wrench for the bolt which compresses the wire seal through the gimbal. I purchased several long needle nose pliers from HF for getting the wire and seal oriented correctly in the transom assy., removed the right steering pin pinch bolt, and used a pry bar to keep the gimbal ring down and squeeze 1/4" drive wobble extensions, a 1/4 drive swivel and a shallow 7/16 socket with the bolt taped into it to reassemble. you can squeeze the extension between the gimbal ring and the transom assy. without the socket on, then slide it down the side of the gimbal ring and install the socket with the bolt taped in, then reach up slowly and start it in the hole while holding the steel cover plate with either your 4th or 5th hand. It is possible. Young children should avoid the shop area during and for a short time after the 2-3 hour operation, and alcohol does help the process..... An assistant to occasionally turn the steering, hold it tight locked, jump in the bilge and pull wires, hold a pry bar on the gimbal ring, and pick up the tools you throw in disgust, etc. is beneficial. Best of Luck!
Old 06-27-2018, 07:21 AM
Registered

Thank you 94 Sylvan, your answer really isn't ideal, but it did help me out. it looked like a good kit to use.
Gunna go to plan B and get'er done.

Thanks again for your positive and comical response.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

It is NOT necessary to remove the Drive. 1\4 in socket drive and extension and u joint with 7/16 socket and the Drive turned all the way to one side and you can do it. I have done it. Dont remember if i had it turned to the port or starboard but i bet it depends how the bolt is indexed or clocked. Getting the bolt back in is the hard part. You have to tape it to the socket. As far as the wires, I taped them to a coat hanger and inserted them through the hole.

Chris
Old 06-27-2018, 01:28 PM
Registered

Thanks Chris, i appreciate your time with your response.
No matter how it's done it seems that it could/will be a pain in the you know what.
I always win though.
Gunna be really F---in hot here this weekend. 105. Will probably wait till that stuff clears out and it cools down a bit.

Thanks again for your response