Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Drives and Lower Units (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units-217/)
-   -   SCX with through hull water pickups (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units/356606-scx-through-hull-water-pickups.html)

zx1421 09-12-2018 07:37 AM

SCX with through hull water pickups

Any of you folks running a IMCO SCX, but have thru hull pickups? How are you dealing with the water through the SCX case? On my XR I had it blocked off to the gimbal, but a 1/2" hole drilled in the side with a fitting directing the extra water at the side of the case for some additional cooling, Im not going to drill a hole in the side of a brand new SCX, but feel just blocking the flow to the engine will create too much water pressure for the internal water passages in the SCX case.

IGetWet 09-12-2018 08:07 AM

You don’t want to block off the water flow, the scx is internally cooled by this water. I hear you about not wanting to drill a hole in the side.... I’ve talked to some shops that will just run a hose from the gimbal to a dump right out the boat again. I may have to do something like this in the future.

zx1421 09-12-2018 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by IGetWet (Post 4648775)
You don’t want to block off the water flow, the scx is internally cooled by this water. I hear you about not wanting to drill a hole in the side.... I’ve talked to some shops that will just run a hose from the gimbal to a dump right out the boat again. I may have to do something like this in the future.

i know I wouldnt block it off to the upper, just going into the engine compartment. But like I said, I don’t think the internal cooling passages inside the scx where meant for all the water and pressure that the lower picks up. The reason I had to go to through hull was because at 130 mph the pressure was so great, I kept blowing the water hose off the connection at the helmet.

IGetWet 09-12-2018 10:40 AM

Yikes that’s a lot of pressure. Imco might be the only ones that can offer advice at those speeds...

1 MAIDEN AMERICA 09-13-2018 09:49 AM

I left the hose off the helmet. The water cools my transom. lol

zx1421 09-13-2018 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by 1 MAIDEN AMERICA (Post 4648991)
I left the hose off the helmet. The water cools my transom. lol

thats what Fred at imco was saying, seems it needs a little restriction to load the cooling passages, then the other questions, that hard spray of water inside the helmet doesn’t bother anything, wash away grease from something? Remove paint?

IGetWet 09-13-2018 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by zx1421 (Post 4649002)

thats what Fred at imco was saying, seems it needs a little restriction to load the cooling passages, then the other questions, that hard spray of water inside the helmet doesn’t bother anything, wash away grease from something? Remove paint?

So just dumping it after the helmet is enough resistance? I like that idea, very simple!

Sydwayz 09-13-2018 11:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Send it up? :D

Attachment 576003

IGetWet 09-13-2018 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 4649007)
Send it up? :D

Attachment 576003

it crossed my mind, lol

BUP 09-14-2018 08:44 AM

let it come thru the transom then reroute back thru the transom with a SS dump fitting that dumps the water back on the drive. I have done that many of times. Its basically a stock drive shower you adapted.